Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

? for you barrel guru's

lrjet

I have not shot my poly gun on the bench yet but i am working on the short colt thing and i will let you know how it shoots. my regular barrels seem to shoot great. longer/heavy bullets seem to shoot better on the average. 135's shoot well. i hope i can get the short colts to make small groups with the 135's as thats what i use currently in .358. i do know a big guy who has shot the poly barrel quite a bit and he informs me that they shoot very well. they are made by LOTHAR WALTHER, a fine barrel maker. i presume we are talking about a 327??? they also appear to me to be a 1 in 10 twist rate, rather than smiths 1 in 16 standard. they should shoot lighter bullets a little more accurate than the lighter twists. we will see when i get to trying them.

hope this helps

Scott

I have not shot my poly gun on the bench yet but i am working on the short colt thing and i will let you know how it shoots. my regular barrels seem to shoot great. longer/heavy bullets seem to shoot better on the average. 135's shoot well. i hope i can get the short colts to make small groups with the 135's as thats what i use currently in .358. i do know a big guy who has shot the poly barrel quite a bit and he informs me that they shoot very well. they are made by LOTHAR WALTHER, a fine barrel maker. i presume we are talking about a 327??? they also appear to me to be a 1 in 10 twist rate, rather than smiths 1 in 16 standard. they should shoot lighter bullets a little more accurate than the lighter twists. we will see when i get to trying them.

hope this helps

Scott

Thanks Scott: Heard the poly barrels prefer jacketed bullets and will lead with cast. I like Billy bullets so they might do ok. The only poly barrels seem to be the 327JM and the 327M&P not sure though. I just want to try a light revo for ringing steel so a 110 to 120 pf should be fun. Like to know the accuracy of the 327pd with the 4 inch barrel man is it light one would probably throw it downrange coming out of the holster.

Irjet, I am far from a guru on anything, but have shot a friends 327 M&P. The one with the bayonet lug under the barrel, He was using 147 grain Berrys I think. Had no problem keeping them in the X ring at 25 yards off hand. He used Trailboss for the powder in a 38 SC.. My old Open Revo (Model 27 with an eight shot cylinder of Maehern design) and it loves the 160 grain bullet but does not do as well with the lighter ones. It is a 1 in 10 inch twist. I probably could have made it work if I tried diferent loads on it. It was a normal cut barrel blank and made for the 27. Offset bore to raise the necessary amount to match the cylinder. Not sure on the lead for the polygonal, sorry . later rdd

Thanks Bubber: Sounds good on the M&P with the poly rifling. Yeah with your ole 27 and a fast twist the heavier bullets will work great. PPC guys use 1-10. Your bore and cylinder axis didn't line up so you offset the barrel to match the cylinder--how was that done. Wish I could move my bore axis a few .001's up.

Just from reading they mention leading on poly and I have heard that from stock glocks. Guess the poly doesn't grab the bullets as hard I dunno. See Ya