Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HELP WITH 1911 MAGS

FLUFF

I have just recently got my Springfield "Loaded" 1911 out of the safe and took it to the Friday night pistol shoot. I normaly use my XD's. I have a few questions about the standard USGI type mags that I have. My Loaded 45 has what looks like a small beveled mag well and the USGI mags seem a little short when I seat the mags. Who makes a base pad that will attach to the USGI mags. Some of the guys at the range use a Wilson Combat Mag, What mag would work with my stock Springfield Loaded 45 ??? Is there a way to Modify or improve the mags that I have ?? I would rather spend my cash on ammo instead of new mags.

FLUFF

More than a basepad, after market magazines from folks like Wilson or Chip McCormick will give you RELIABILITY. The way the feed lips and follwers are designed in these mags make them far superior to USGI mags, and half or more malfunctions in a 1911 can be attributed to mags.

But yes, these aftermarket mags have base pads, which make insertion far more reliable. There's that word again!

Like was already said mags make a huge difference in the reliability of that pistol.

Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, and Tripp Research mags are probably the top three brands.

There are base pads available but they attach in several different ways so you would have to see if they would work with your mag. If it has a removable base plate or a place to screw an aftermarket pad on the bottom.

McCormick basepads will attach to your GI mags if you drill and tap the bottom. I am sure you could glue them on also. But, like everyone else said, buy some Wilson or other brand aftermarket mags. GI mags are only 7 rounders also, having the 8th round makes an enourmous difference when shooting single stack in this game.

Yet another vote for Wilson (either their 47 or new ETM), McCormick or Tripp mags. There are cheaper alternatives out there, but they're not as good a value in the long run. I'm not sure about McCormick or Tripp, but I know that Wilson's customer service is outstanding. They don't have a "warranty" but if you ever have a problem they will make it right. I ordered some mags from a vendor once and got one of their older models along with the newer versions. I called Wilson to sort out which was which. Their rep told me that if I wanted, I could send the older version to them (at their cost) and they'd replace it with the newer one immediately. He then said if I wanted, to give it a try to see if it ran fine and if it ever gave me a problem they'd replace it no questions asked....that's what I call service! R,

Thanks for the info. I'll get some Wilson 47d"s on order. What thickness of base pad do I need with my Stock Sprinfield Loaded 45 ??

The standard base pad will work fine but I would get the .625" (big ones) and trim them down a little to fit the box. No harm in adding a little extra insurance plus if you get an enormous magwell later you will have enough pad.