Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help!!! 650 Won't Seat Primers Properly?

here is the deal. I was reloading tonight on my 650 and was about 500 rounds into it and then all of a sudden my primers wouldn't seat properly. They were only going in about 1/3 of the way. So I took the shell plate off and tried cleaning underneath in case some dust etc. was causing this problem. I put it all back together tightening the bolt tightly and then backing it off about 1/8 of a turn as per instruction in the book. Well now when I try seating the primers they are seated about 95% but I can't get them to seat any deaper. Anyone have any ideas of what this might be or how I can fix it? It is really starting to piss me off.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Mine does that every once in a while. I found it to be the shell plate not adjusted right. To much wiggle to seat correctly.

Check the primer piston.

I try to give it an extra push up to be sure not to get a high primer.

I wish there was an adjustment like the 1050 on the 650

Well about 5 minutes after I posted this I looked things over. come to find out there was a spent primer underneath the primer piston causing the piston itselt not to be raised to its highest point. I removed this spent primer and the problem went away. Damn, there needs to be a better design for the primer catch. It's bad enough picking them up off the floor by the dozens now I it is effecting my reloading by messing with my machine.

LOL

thanks,

Pete