Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Universal clays and MG 121 gr IFP

glock17w

I found universal and JHP for production hard to make work. Went to a much faster powder (TG, 231 or N320) and all the problems disappeared. Too much smoke, too much unburnt powder unless you load real fast, like around 1200fps. Inconsistant velocity at lower speeds.

Universal is a stout powder, lots of recoil and noise- but I use it so much that I do load 9mm with it sometimes. Great loads for man on man steel- the poppers sit down pretty well for a 9mm. I would imagine that 124 or 125 gr loading data should be plenty safe, if you can't find 121gr data. I use 4.9 gr for 124 and 5.0gr for 115 gr. The 115 gr loads move out at 1180 or so, the 124 gr loads are good for 1120 out of my G17.

I've used 4.6 gr of Universal Clays under 124gr FMJ and got between 1,050 and 1,080 fps in a CZ85. It burned very clean and had a relatively mild report compared to WSF and VV N-340. It was not as accurate as WSF or as soft as N-320, but gave very acceptable results.

Chris

I have not personally shot the 121's but someone around here shoots them over 5.0gr of universal and really likes them. I would probably start at around 4.7 or 4.8 and work up from there if necessary. I believe the overall length was 1.135"

I personally shoot Universal Clays under MG 124gr JHPs. 4.6gr loaded to an OAL of 1.135" gives me a pf of about 138....that was as of Area 1 last year. I love this load. Not as accurate as some and not as soft shooting as some, but this load is a happy medium of both of those qualities.

I also use Universal for my 9mm loads and love it. I have shot both the MG 121 IFP and the MG JHP 124. I have settled on the 124 JHP as my standard load. I load it with 4.3 g of Universal and an OAL of 1.10. This give me a PF of 134 in a full size M&P (4.25 inch barrel) and a PF of 136 in the M&P Pro (5" barrel).

For your info, 4.3 of Universal over the MG 121 IFP in the full size M&P gave me a PF of 132.

No problems with smoke, recoil, steel, etc.

I also use Universal for my 9mm loads and love it. I have shot both the MG 121 IFP and the MG JHP 124. I have settled on the 124 JHP as my standard load. I load it with 4.3 g of Universal and an OAL of 1.10. This give me a PF of 134 in a full size M&P (4.25 inch barrel) and a PF of 136 in the M&P Pro (5" barrel).

For your info, 4.3 of Universal over the MG 121 IFP in the full size M&P gave me a PF of 132.

No problems with smoke, recoil, steel, etc.

I've been doing about the same load (4.3gr UC, 1.145 OAL, 124gr Precision Delta FMJ). PF from a Glock 17 is just over 130 (around 1050fps.

Recoil and report are noticeably milder than 115gr Blazer, and I haven't noticed any issues with unburnt powder.

I too will try the 4.3 gr of UC under the MG 121. I ordered a bunch of 121's for .38Super loads, and I have 12# of Univ sitting around.

I'm curious to know what you think of it. I'm new to reloading, and it's the only powder I have so far. I've been happy enough with it, that I have no motivation to buy other powders for pistol reloading.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't know if this will help but hears an FYI, I have been using Universal Clays with MG 115gr bullets, 4.4 gr U Clays shooting a Glock 34 puts me at 132 PF and is a light feeling load. I was at 4.0 gr and was having problems + I barely maid minor with that load.