Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9

blkexp98

I just bought a used 9L upper. I have not shot it yet. It was dirty so a good cleaning was due. I have two cleaning issues with the M&P:

1 - you can't clean the extractor without pounding the heck out of the pin holding it in. I still haven't got it out yet.

2 - You can't clean the firing pin safety without taking off the rear sight.

Issue 2 is not that bad. Since there are ejection problems, I would like to be able to easily clean my extractor. So issue 1 is a big issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Have a polished feed ramp and factory recoil spring and occasionally get failures to go to battery completely on mine. Running loads with very low power factory though. Going to bump it up to about 130PF on recommendation from Mike Cywrus. Also highly recommend his trigger jobs. Fantastic feel.

I have an M&P 9 and I did have a few FTE early on and that was with the first couple rounds. After that 200 rounds the issue went away and never came back.

The other M&P40 I own never had an issue and ran like a top from day one.

I have shot the M&P 9mm for about two years now and it is a great gun and reliable.

I am very happy with every thing from Smith & Wesson customer service and quality of the M&P's.

I just bought a used 9L upper. I have not shot it yet. It was dirty so a good cleaning was due. I have two cleaning issues with the M&P:

1 - you can't clean the extractor without pounding the heck out of the pin holding it in. I still haven't got it out yet.

2 - You can't clean the firing pin safety without taking off the rear sight.

Issue 2 is not that bad. Since there are ejection problems, I would like to be able to easily clean my extractor. So issue 1 is a big issue.

racerba, did you already try to clean out the extractor with pressurized cleaner, carb cleaner or whatever? S&W doesn't recommend it be removed for cleaning, at least according to the armorer's manual/class (though I guess this is more of a repair than cleaning). Same with the rear sight sight/firing pin safety plunger. I have seen people recommend a short, stiff "starter punch" to start the extractor pin, and one poster described using some sort of drill press rigged up some way. I put lots of tape on the slide around the S&W extractor pins before I start whacking them. I've seen threads here and another forum about FTE, and was wondering if you have eliminated the possible causes other than dirty extractors that have been linked to extraction problems. I am trying to learn all I can about these guns.

Edited by sheepdog