Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Well I looked and can't find it. What is the collective grey/white hair wisdom on long term storage of powder and primes. If the worst should happen and they become "hard to find" because of "biennial changing winds of public opinion" I was thinking powder should be fine if it was unopened, in the cool place. I'm not sure as to primers. How does this sound, the primer should be in a sealed ammo can with some desiccant packets. Would I want to add some add some oxygen absorbers in as well for good measure? Would a metal ammo can be better to a plastic one? Anyother thoughts for this.icon14.gif

Well I looked and can't find it. What is the collective grey/white hair wisdom on long term storage of powder and primes. If the worst should happen and they become "hard to find" because of "biennial changing winds of public opinion" I was thinking powder should be fine if it was unopened, in the cool place. I'm not sure as to primers. How does this sound, the primer should be in a sealed ammo can with some desiccant packets. Would I want to add some add some oxygen absorbers in as well for good measure? Would a metal ammo can be better to a plastic one? Anyother thoughts for this.icon14.gif

I believe this exact question was addressed recently over in the ammo and reloading section.

Kind of explains why I cant find primers and such.

I guess you have concerns regarding oxygen induced lead styphnate degredation of primers?

Your primers are most certainly stable for decades in cool dry earth atmosphere......aka your basement.

BB