Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting point for steel load

bbbean

I've never loaded 9mm, but am thinking of using my 9mm 1911 for steel matches this year. Given that there's no PF requirement, I need a powder puff load that just has enough power to hit the back targets on Outer Limits and cycle the slide.

Suggestions for a starting point?

I've never loaded 9mm, but am thinking of using my 9mm 1911 for steel matches this year. Given that there's no PF requirement, I need a powder puff load that just has enough power to hit the back targets on Outer Limits and cycle the slide.

3.8 gr of 231 will cycle your slide and is pretty soft shooting.

Take Care

Bob

3.8 gr of 231 will cycle your slide and is pretty soft shooting.

Take Care

Bob

What weight bullet would you recommend?

My 9 mm steel load is fairly hot (140+ PF), but it feels right to me. I like a bit of snap to make it feel right. I use 3.7 WW 231 with a 147 grain LRN for an average velocity of 966. If I wanted a very light feel I would try to drop a 125 grain LRN on top of the same charge. It cycles my Kimber Target II just fine. I just perfer the stiffer load.

Buddy

I just use my production loads for steel challange, 130ish pf.

3.3gr of Solo 1000 with 147gr bullet

3.2gr of Titegroup with 147gr bullet (I've shot this one accurately out to 75 yards on a 8" stop plate with a Zero JHP. It's good stuff.)

3.6gr of Solo 1000 or N320 with 135gr bullet

any of these are soft shooting. I use a 13lb recoil spring in my glocks to get these to cycle. You may have to pump up the volume to get a stiffer spring to cycle or go to a lighter spring in the 1911.