Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-travel screw on Gold Custom

vernonsmith

Shot at the range today all of a sudden trigger won't reset. Later found out the pre-travel screw on my Gold Custom V8 has loosen up and moved outward by itself. So I screwed it back in again and gun work fine again.

Question: Is it ok to take out the pre-travel screw at all? I mean I don't use that screw and I prefer longer pre-travel anyway find it safer to shoot that way. Will it cause any ill effect without that pre-travel screw in place?

Thanks.

Shot at the range today all of a sudden trigger won't reset. Later found out the pre-travel screw on my Gold Custom V8 has loosen up and moved outward by itself. So I screwed it back in again and gun work fine again.

Question: Is it ok to take out the pre-travel screw at all? I mean I don't use that screw and I prefer longer pre-travel anyway find it safer to shoot that way. Will it cause any ill effect without that pre-travel screw in place?

Thanks.

It won't hurt anything.

You can remove both the pre- and over-travel screw which will give you the most amount of movement in the trigger. That's how I shoot my Limited gun. It's a lot of trigger movement, but also a feeling of no restrictions. I don't like restrictions..

That said, everybody tries to reduce the free movement of the trigger to as little as possible. On my open gun I've got the pre- and over-travel set to a short travel in both directions. Ultimately this is considered the best. Pre-travel just need to allow for the trigger system to reset properly and consistently. Over-travel need to make sure the sear can clear both the hammer hooks and the half-cock hooks.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have set the pre-travel screw and use loctite to lock it in place before. Some how yesterday it still came lose and travelled outward and resulted the trigger not resetting. Luckily this is only happened in practice, imagaine this happened in a big stage and a big match, I could be screwed. Therefore I decided to take it out once and for all so that there is zero chance that this will happen.

I don't set the pre-travel screw anyway as I personnaly like long pre-travel but I do tune the over-travel screw so it is just clear the both position in the hammer sears.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have set the pre-travel screw and use loctite to lock it in place before. Some how yesterday it still came lose and travelled outward and resulted the trigger not resetting. Luckily this is only happened in practice, imagaine this happened in a big stage and a big match, I could be screwed. Therefore I decided to take it out once and for all so that there is zero chance that this will happen.

I don't set the pre-travel screw anyway as I personnaly like long pre-travel but I do tune the over-travel screw so it is just clear the both position in the hammer sears.

If you decide you ever want to put it back in, just take the trigger out of the frame so you can get at everything and clean/degrease it really well before you lock-tight it.