Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major In Open Revo

Bubber

Loaded up some Major ammo, well it felt major my chrono is kaput. :wacko: I then went into a little testing. With minor loads I am about .02 seconds faster on splits in the A zone at 15 yards. That would equate to about .55 second on a 25 round course, skipping a split here and there for first shots. My revo shot well enough. Muzzle flip and muzzle rise well under control. The rounds even felt good, the first 10 rounds anyway. But after 50 rounds these were doing a number on my elbows. If it is faster by 1/2 second per stage and if I hit 92% of the points I would shooting major, then everthing is a wash. I do try to get about 92% of the points anyway so for me I guess it is minor for me. The loads in question were 38 caliber at 160 grains. A heavier bullet could be the answer but someone wrote of the 170 grains load in another post. If anyone else tries and has better luck let me know.

Thanks for the info. There is so little information about shooting open major it's great to hear about people's experiences shooting it.

Bubber do your elbows also hurt shooting major in the Revolver IPSC class (basically meaning a 625 shooting major loads)? Or is your pain somehow related to the way the comp works?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

It does not hurt as bad or as quickly as with my Open revo. The 45 is more of a push and the muzzle flip absorbs some. With my Open Revo the muzzle flip and muzzle rise basicaly isn't there so it is a straight back snap. I loaded with a fast burning powder, Accurate #2, and a some what slower powder, Hodgons HS6. And it seemed to make no difference. I don't know what a 40 or a 45 Open would do but you would only have 6 rounds using them. So back to the drawing board for me. :wacko:

Wide 45,

That is a good idea, Muzzle Brake, but really I have only seen one that has worked real well. It was designed by a friend of mine in Arizona. I believe there is a picture on the azwildbunch.com web page under guns of the wildbunch. It resembles a Ray Gun. In fact he named it "Elroy" from the Jetson's It is definetly the softest shooting 38 super revo I have ever shot.

It also has the hybrid ports to cut down muzzle flip. But he only made one.