Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slowing Down

kevin c

I read, courtesy of the gifted and experienced here on this forum, how speed comes with practice, not from trying. Now, How do I deliberately slow down?

Shot a gssf match this weekend. I knew exactly, from my own prior experience, and through practice, just what times I should shoot to get the accuracy needed to shoot clean. Doing so would have put me into contention in any of the divisions I entered, and during practice, I could do it.

Come match time, though, I blew myself out of the water, doing runs two and three seconds faster than intended, every single time, and since I entered four divisions, that was twelve runs per stage. I sucked down an absolutely incredible number of penalty seconds. The only place the speed and its consequential misses didn't hurt too much was on the plate rack, where the fast runs and the miss filled runs averaged out to where I wanted to be.

Do I need to relax (yes, I know the answer to that one)?. Do I need a timer with a cadence function? Do I need to meditate more? Do I need to listen to the little green guy ("Do, or do not - There is no try") Mebbe I need my wife to teach me more Tai Chi Chuan :( .

Thank you, gentlemen!

I am apparently seeing what I need to in practice (all shots inside 8") but not seeing it in competition. The post on "the set" seems on the money for me, but doesn't sound easy to achieve. We shall see...

Shot a limited match today, applying what had been suggested. The steel went down much better, my hits were better, I made up shots I knew I needed to better, and the only misses were blow offs I knew I had but "hoped for the best". Progress! A very long way to go, yet (the journey never ends, does it?) but some tenative steps have been made, hopefully in the right direction.

Thanks again :D .