Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Should I Buy

I am a avid Gun lover who currently owns a 308, 30-06 a 7mm Rem Mag Maadi 50 cal. and although i love these guns a have shot them alot on 600 meter ranges I want a new experience, Nearby we have 1200 meter range 50 Cals are not allowed but under certain occasions. I Shot my 7mm and 30-06 on this range and although i managed to hit my target i felt like I was reaching the extreme end of its endurance and it was truly a job just to get it in the ring at that range. Is there a rifle I am missing out on? would I see more with a 300 338 or 375? I am debating the 375 because of the size but I seen a less than MOA on a 1000 yds with a 338 and was wondering if anyone had any long range experience with these big 30's I hear repeatedly that the 308 with out perform all of the others at that end of the spectrum but I am not shooting enemy soldiers I am repeatedly firing at a target 1200 meters away and am by no means a World Class Sniper. What should I buy folks? or Do i have what I need already? thanks

308 will get you to 1200 but not much left when it gets there. 300 WM or WSM are better choices. The .300 RUM, 338 RUM and Laupa are your best bests short of a 50. All 3 are capable of hits at a mile. Most stock guns are going to be poor choices. This is where the custom LR builders come in to play. Don't forget good optics not the run of the mill hunting scopes. Give GA Precision a call they can hook you up with what you need. Expect to pay 2500 and up for the rifle and 800-1000 on optics.

Seems like we had this conversation B4, but maybe not.

The heavier the slug for caliber and the better BC that projectile has, the better for 1000+ yd shooting it will be. Chriss is correct the hot tickets now are the 338 Lapua and the 338 RUM, with some of the big 30 cal stuff running behind that and then some shooters like the 6.5x300 Weatherby and others.

Your 7Rem Mag won the 1000 yd shoot in the '70's with a gal, Mary Louise deVito, at the wheel. shot a group under 9", so the cartridge is capable, if you as a shooter can dope the wind and the mirage well enough.

As a sport, it is expensive to build and maintain a gun to shoot. Very time consuming to load all that ammo the way it needs to be loaded (mostly time is spent working your brass). If you just want to send some rounds downrange and see how you do, got a big 30 cal, like the 300 Rem Ultra or the 300 Weatherby and have it tuned up with the best bbl and trigger and optics you can afford and have a go. Very few folks really get involved with 1000 shooting to warrant spending the better part of 5K to get into it for the long haul.

Again as Chriss mentioned, regular optics won't do it. Most rifles have over 10' of drop at that distance and regular optics do not have that many minutes of correction built into the scope.

Hope you have a good time with it.

My own personal choice for what you are trying to achieve is the 338Lapua in one of 4 formats.

1. MCRT Tactical by McMillan in Phoenix AZ. :wub::wub:

2. Sako TRG42 with all the toys on (including supressor)

3. Accuracy International AWP, again with all the toys.

Either reload or buy Lapua match ammo or the Blackhills? 338Lapua loaded with the 300gr Sierra Match torpedo. OR

4. Build or have built something from any number of fine riflesmiths that specialize in long range Target / Sniper (for want of a better word at this hour) rifles.

I have sold a couple of the Sako's and they are amazing, but I would plunk my money (if I had any) on the McMillan, and drop a Nightforce NSX on top.

Oh!!!!! There goes the alarm clock. :)

Thanks for the advise. I am about decided to go with the 338 thanks to the feedback i received here. I am in the process of selling my 50 because it is pretty much just a wall hanger in the area where I live. I will take the funds from this to put toward my 338. hopefully new oppurtunities will arise from this swap. Thanks again guys for your time and advise. Slo