Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Staying cionsistent after the beep?

Jeff1911oh

admin mode: I split Jeff's question and some responses from another thread...thought it derserved it's own thread.

Guys,

Everything you said I have done and then some....but what can I do to correct the problem?

I have tried numerous drills, dry fire pratice, you name it..but when the little box goes beep everything goes out the window. Any help would be helpful......

RELAX, it is much harder to shoot if you are TRYING to do anything. Just go shoot. See every shot and you will be shooting at your skill level. If you want to shoot faster, give it time and practice your ass off and you will learn to see faster, and thus shoot faster. If it were easy, we'd all be grand masters.

Forcing youself to see every shot will feel slow, but it will end up being faster, and you will have more confidence, thus less nervousness. Now just go shoot A's as fast as your eyes let you.

Hi Jeff.

(Jeff is one of the better shooters in Ohio...just starting out in USPSA, coming from other games. He will likely come in at A class, and can be Master...soon enough... if he chooses.)

Jeff all of your shooting fundamentals are well established, your equipment runs...you are in the same boat as a lot of us. Execution. Check out Brian's post above...BE's book is truely a must-read.

Kyle

Kyle,

Thanks, I appreciate what you said. One of my biggest problems is that I am not consistant. At one of our local matches I took 1st place limited and 1st overall but the very next match I came in 5th place. I place lower than the people I was over the last week. I quess I am trying to find a way to stay more consistant.

Jeff

***Kyle, I will see you tomorrow at the 3 gun***

Jeff,

Steve Anderson often does well at shooting within his ability (unless he is going for broke shoting classifiers :unsure: ).

I think a big key for Steve is that he makes a plan and sticks to it. And, as part of his plan, he doesn't try anything he hasn't practiced. He goes with what he knows.

I guess it comes down to risk assesment. If a shooter takes a lot of risks, they stand to gain quite a bit on a stage...and they stand to lose quite a bit as well.

When looking at a stage, and making a plan, weight the risk versus the reward. If there is a tough shot, ask yourself what the chances are of making the shot. If the chances aren't great, ask yourself if it is worth the risk.

A simple rule of thumb might be to shoot at a pace consistent with your national classifier percentage.

For me, that would mean shooting at about 85-90% of full-speed. If I did just exactly that...stage after stage...then I would likely land at 90% or so in a match like the Nationals. Of course...that doesn't happen very often. Lately, I have pushed it too hard...and either nailed the stage, or crashed badly (mostly crashed ;)).

Being consistant is not an easy task, but if you try and shoot at your own level and can be more consistant you will find that will be enough. Its better to be consistant for ex. than burn a few and crash even one stage. I have won more matches where I only won one stage then where I won 4 or 5 stages. Trying to be more consistant is the key, finding your comfort zone, belive in yourself, dont take chances even at a local match, if you attend fun shoots that's where you can try something new and different if it works take it to the match. Just remember that there are mountains and valleys sometimes your up sometimes your down, but for every valley there are two montains. Good luck Jamie

I want to thank everyone for the help. At the 3 gun at Rayner's, I did not try anything new, I just stuck to what I knew and it worked for me. I came in 9th overall for the pistol match. One thing that I did try new was to see every shot, it did feel slow but I also had less mikes and I did not feel like I rushed any shot. I will also try sticking to my plan and just shoot.

Thanks,

Jeff :)