Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Rifle Sights

Julien Boit

Hi all,

I was reading FS yesterday and saw that almost all limited rifles pictured in have something that looks like the JP match front sight.

Is it the ideal front sight for limited ?

I think it help on plates but what about paper targets ?

As well, almost all rifles are flat top with removable rear sights, I presume they are used for back and forth optic and iron, or is there a special trick here ? ;)

BTW benny, I can't read what's on the sticker on you rifle, what's written ?

Two out of three Limited rifles pictured is "almost all" ... well, OK.

The hood ensures the front sight is always shaded so you have a consistent-looking sight picture. The hood provides a little more protection from damaging the front sight by banging it against props. The replaceable insert lets you experiment with more sizes and shapes.

Additionally, I benefit from the ring-within-a-ring concentric alignment of the hood within the rear aperture. It's easier for my eye to naturally align the circle within a circle rather than the A2 bunny ears within a circle.

P.S. Benny's sticker appears to read, "I'm not afraid to go fast; it's crashing & burning that sucks."

I tried a front aperture insert (a circle), thinking it would be best because all of the long range targets I see are circular (plates or poppers). It was a disaster.

I find a post works best, mainly because there is nothing else to obscure targets. Anything to the sides of your sight is going to hinder acquisition of targets by limiting your field of view.

I'm still a post front sight shooter and have not been converted to the aperture front sight. Maybe it's just too much time behind a service rifle in highpower. I think an aperture front sight would be ideal if we were shooting round plates for targets all the time but not for general use. With a post, you can "drive" it to the next target. It also shows up better on an IPSC target. Too me the aperture is a bit slower and it's more cluttered. Although I can appreciate what Erik was saying about the ring within a ring, for me, when shooting an iron sighted rifle, all that exists is the tip of that post.

FYI Notice Cooley's AR has a post front sight! Also notice how serious Bennie looks. Yikes! He's got the best war face of the limited shooters.

FYI pt. 2 Don't let me talk you out of an aperture if that's what you want to have.

As for the flat tops, I think that's just to switch back and forth between optics and irons. But one of the best things I ever did was build a limited AR without a flattop (i.e. with a standard A2 upper). That way I CAN'T change it or fiddle with it. As a consequence, it stays zeroed! :o