Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand Spanking New Reloader

flyingfrog

All,

I am new to the reloading scene, but have found that it is my best interest (financially speaking) to reload. The question is this. There are so many different items to buy, where do you start. Do I go with a Dillon SDB or a 550, do I want the indexing feature or not, what options should I invest in. I am looking for any information I can get. Which primers, which powder, who makes the best bullets. I'll take what i can get and hope to get steered in the right direction.

Depends on whether you're planning on reloading LARGE quanties (or smalll quantities) of ammo; whether you're planning on loading only for handgun or for handgun and rifle both. Whether you're in competition or not. You might ask your immediate shooting buddies what THEY do for reloading setups and what THEIR experiences have been. Meanwhile...

There are some excellent discussion threads archived on this Forum concerning this subject AND a wonderful thread in particular from Brian Enos describing the functions and characteristics of each of the Dillon presses in detail. I found this thread particularly helpful early on. Mainly, after that, I talked to local shooting buddies AND read threads of discussion here on the Forum. It all came together for ME just recently and I'm "rolling my own" now after months of preparation and hand-picking of materials and equipment.

• 1 month later...

I'm pretty new at reloading, so I'll tell you what I did, and so far I'm very happy:

I asked at the local club if someone could show me a bit about reloading. One guy had all four models of Dillon presses, and invited me over to see them, and try them out. I tried his SDB in .45 (he let me keep the ammo I made), and I tried cranking on his 1050 in .38 super for his gun, too. They all worked well, but the 1050 did look complex and large.

I bought one or two reloading manuals and read them before choosing a reloading press. Since I live in an apartment, and can't devote a whole lot of space, I bought a 550B in .45 and mounted it on a small steel workbench I bought at Home Depot. I also got a small case vibrator and media separator from Frankford Armory (or is it Fulford?).

I bought a digital scale (I got sick of triple beam balances in Jr. High chem class...just go with digital!), and a pair of digital calipers. I picked one powder (WST, because it was recommended in several places, here included), one primer (Win Large Pistol, why not?), recycled brass from a case of factory ammo I bought, and purchased hard cast lead bullets from a guy who manufactures them locally and shoots at my matches. For now, I've experimented with different powder charges with one bullet type (200 gr LSWC). I'll experiment with different bullet weights soon. I won't mess with different powders for a while...bullet weight and powder charge weight are two variables I can intuitively understand...other variables are a bit more tricky.

I also got a Pact MkIV for Christmas, and use that to chrono my loads. I worked up one load that makes major and works reliably in my gun, and I'll probably mass produce the hell out of it before I mess with anything else.

Total outlay for me so far (including consumables for ~2000 rounds) was about $1000.

Anyway, it is intimidating, but once you try it out, reloading isn't hard, and it wasn't difficult at all for me to make safe, reliable ammo that makes major in my .45. It seems to shoot as accurately as I can, too. I suppose I can get into trying to reduce the smoke, cutting the power factor closer and closer to the limit, getting more accuracy, less recoil, etc. etc. But that's all work for another day. Right now, I just load rounds that work, and go shoot them.

Good luck,

DogmaDog