Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wasted Time

Flexmoney

I got a couple

- bringing a half loaded magazine(back-up) to a stage and using it :D I was supposed to use the other one... now i only bring full mags to a stage to make sure...

- not blocking/counting the number of targets before shooting a stage. Easy FTE penalty here. this was just last weekend.. grrrrr cost me at least 5 places in the final order of things...

- moving out of a start position... sometimes i get to that point when i'm not even sure which foot to move first :angry:

- and the classic one....

MATCH PRESSURE :lol:

Covering the same ground twice will add mucho time to any field course. Go over each patch of grass once (or not at all). Even if it means doing all the movement from right to left or some way you don't enjoy. Every step you don't take is worth about .3 sec.

Exceptions are when you can run up to a window and hose vs. staying back and maybe not locating all the targets with confidence.

Lack of confidence is always slow. I like to enter a position on the biggest paper target, and leave on just about any target, even steel. On the setup my weight is shifting - uncertain. But on leaving, I've already worked out how to aim my hips, shoulders, and face at that last target. Nothing bobbles, front sight lifts, and I leave before I can see a popper tip over.

When that goes with no make-up shots, it's usually a stage win or high limited on the stage. Lately, anyway. Glocks are ugly but they work.

http://www.cfrpc.com/IPSC/MatchResults/031025.htm

http://www.tbpc.org/Results2003/match1019.html

Flexmoney

I'm working on calling my shots. Right now I do it better in practice than in a match.

The match I'm setting up for Sunday includes 10 plates that range from 11 to 25 yards. Between those plates, a couple of US poppers, and 4 floppers, I'll have plenty of opportunity to see if I've made any improvement.

I'll focus on calling my shots during tomorrow's practice session, although I've pretty much stopped looking for bullet holes in paper.

My progress is very nearly a perfect match to the amount of practice time I put into it. I find that very motivating.

I see some shooters, new, and old enough to know better, using their week hand to pull the empty mag out of their gun, and kind of ease it's drop to the floor. If the mag wont drop free when you hit the mag release, time for new mags or mage release work. First thing on the reload is to get that weak hand going for the full mag.

I'm working on calling my shots.

Most important skill. Until this is mastered, I wouldn't even worry about anything else.

Right now I do it better in practice than in a match.

Not calling the shot is a HUGE time eater. If you can do it in practice, but not in a match...ask yourself "why".