Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new revolver shooter question

Full mag

I need a little advice and help from the revolver crew. I bought a model 625 with a 6 1/2" model 1955 barrel on it about a month ago. I have been trying some different loads with it and found that it shoots FMJ great but when I tried shooting some 200gn lead though it it had about a 12" group at about 25 yards. I have read some things about this, but I am just wondering if there is any way of shooting lead out of it. If there isn't who has the best price on FMJ? I have only shot this in one match so far but I loved it and look forward to many more. Thanks for the help and advice.

I need a little advice and help from the revolver crew. I bought a model 625 with a 6 1/2" model 1955 barrel on it about a month ago. I have been trying some different loads with it and found that it shoots FMJ great but when I tried shooting some 200gn lead though it it had about a 12" group at about 25 yards. I have read some things about this, but I am just wondering if there is any way of shooting lead out of it. If there isn't who has the best price on FMJ? I have only shot this in one match so far but I loved it and look forward to many more. Thanks for the help and advice.

Full mag, There had been a discussion about a "25" havng problems shooting lead and doing well with jacket but not a 625. They used larger diameter Lead bullets (453 or 454)) that helpped. I could not find the discussinon but found one close to the subject. Cast 45 bullets maybe it will help. later rdd

As a general rule, 25-2s shoot like crap with cast lead bullets. Every time this topic arises, I always chime in with my old story about how we got around the problem by shooting unsized bullets (which typically were about .454" in diameter) straight out of the mold, with just a little liquid Alox tumble lube. It worked fairly well, but the easier solution is to run jacketed bullets, which usually shoot just fine out of 25-2s.

Since this thread involves a 625 cylinder (which should have good throat dimensions) and a 25-2 barrel, and it shoot fine with FMJ, it pretty well confirms that there's something about most 25-2 barrels (shallower rifling, maybe?) that is simply incompatible with cast bullets.

My experience is you can get about any gun to shoot cast bullets. Fool around with alloy, size, lube, barrels throat and more. Question is is it worth the trouble. I don't cast my Revolver bullets and expect the gun to shoot what I buy at the local gun shop. Offhand match rifles I go to great lengths to get plain base cast bullets to work well. But only shoot a thousand or so per year.

If you are inclined to keep trying bullets size makes the most difference. Larger will probably work better. Next would be the bullets alloy, contrary to what you would think softer leads less than hard. The expand up to bore size most times if cast 1/25 with no antimony. Then try a good soft lube. SPG can't be beat at revolver velocities.

Boats