Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited and Solo 1000?

Ridgerunnr

The Limited is a .40 cal 75.

I don't have a Tanfoglio Limited, but I did use Solo 1000 in a different 75: mine is the CZ brand Standard IPSC (which is about the same as the CZ brand .40 cal "TS").

Soft recoil, accurate, and no pressure signs.

Take a look here: Burn Rates It shows Solo 1000 to be ABOUT as quick as Bullseye (or at least in the same range). I thought that most people thought that those really quick powders were too fast for .40. Moving down the chart to Titegroup and then down to Win231 is where most people seem to get the best results. But there are a ton of people on this forum that use Bullseye and N310 (very fast powders). But, every load is different, every powder is different and every gun is different, not to mention every shooter is different.

Edited by photog

I just worked up a load for my 5 inch STI Eagle using Solo and black bullet int'l 180 gr moly TC and wound up using 4.6 gr for a PF around 170. I loaded up to 5 gr, 5 gr was 180 PF. No pressure signs anywhere. The 5 gr load didn't feel real snappy either. My OAL was 1.14 so I was loading relatively short for a 2011.

I tried 4.2 to 5.0 grains. Once I get my moly bullets loaded I am going to work up another for MG 180gr.

I've been meaning to do a test with various moly bullets and various powders in 40 cal much like I did with 9mm 147gr Precisions, but my little jaunt to Iraq and having all of my reloading stuff in storage put a damper on that. Hopefully I can get stable this summer (back in CO) and do some testing. When I do, I'll start a thread with the results. I will be testing 170 Precisions, and 180 Precisions and Black Bullets for sure with TG, Universal Clays, Solo 1000, and N320. Other possible powders will be WSF and maybe a Ramshot powder. I will not test Clays or N310, period. If everything works out right I can get this done in June, but we'll see.

FWIW, I've shot Masterblaster 180s with Universal clays and had great results for very little smoke, easily reached pf without pressure, and very accurate. It has more of a push than a snap for recoil and some don't like the feel. It IS very difficult to double charge with this powder since is has a larger charge, 4.9gr at OAL 1.135 with a 180 MB.

Edited by SA Friday