Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have the Archos 5th Gen PMP?

I have been looking at these and was thinking of upgrading. Right now I have the A500 30gig model and its doesn't have enough storage. I think right now I have about 7 or 8 movies plus Burketts shooting video and the World shoot and just its filling up fast. I like the idea of the new ones having wifi access. I called them last week and they are working on the GPS upgrade for the 5th Gen models but no word when it will be released. Just wondering how they are. I'm wanting to use it at work to keep me from getting bored.

Have they done anything with the TV sheduler, the old one is fine just wondering if they upgraded at all?? I love that I can just plug it in the cable box and record whatever TV shows or movies and then watch them later at work.

Flyin

• 3 weeks later...

I have the 404 and I have a friend that has the 504. We both love ours, but no experience with the new ones.

Side note, I had all kinds of problems with my 404, it went back to the factory 3 times, the last time they gave me a new one. Customer service was awesome.

I have the 404 and I have a friend that has the 504. We both love ours, but no experience with the new ones.

Side note, I had all kinds of problems with my 404, it went back to the factory 3 times, the last time they gave me a new one. Customer service was awesome.

I have had an AV500 for about 3 yrs and love it. Just wanting to upgrade and will sell my 500 as soon as I buy a new one unless I decide to go with an Iphone instead.

Flyin

I've been watching closely for a deal on an Archos and I found one today. I bought the Archos7 with the 320gb hard drive. I'm using it right now, this thing is nice. I just set it up with my wifi. I just loaded 10 gigs of shooting videos on it. It also came with a dvr station that allows me too use my cable providers tv guide to setup what shows I want to record.

Flyin

I've had a 5 since just before the IPSC World Shoot. No experience with 3g and not even sure it's supported yet. ArchosFans is the forum to go to and get info. I love mine for watching movies and TV shows I download or copy, I have the DVR station but never use it other than for playing stuff from my A5 on my TV. the HDMI output is nice for that. Archos are a bit slow with updates. I find the WiFi not bad, but for some reason in my house my Wifi sucks. not sure what they put in the walls, but I pick up my neighbours old router better than the 6 different ones I've tried.

I'm on my second A5 too by the way, my last one blew it's speaker. That's probably my biggest complaint, the speaker sucks and the output level for headphones has to meet Euro guidelines, which are like whispers compared to a regular MP3 player. A nice little amp off of Ebay will fix that for you.

... but for some reason in my house my Wifi sucks. not sure what they put in the walls, but I pick up my neighbours old router better than the 6 different ones I've tried.

I downloaded firmware for my wireless router. It allows me to crank up the signal, among other things. Careful though, they say if you crank it too much it will generate heat in the router and might burn it up. Go easy or add a cooling fan.

I also have a goofy little directional "dish" that I put on mine to reflect the signal a bit. I think it actually works. I just printed off a template (net search for "windsurfer")...I printed it out on poster board...glued some aluminum foil to it and was done. 1st grade project easy.

Flyin,

I watched the intro video on their site...looks pretty handy.

Well tonight I tried to figure out the email. It comes with yahoo and Gmail already setup. I really didn't want to switch my email at all, I wanted to figure out how to keep my same email address with Time Warner. I called Archos and found out that wasn't possible because my isp provider does not use a host name. I ended up going with GMail and I found out quite a few things. I set up the email account in Gmail and it allowed my to add another email account(I added my email account with my isp, which required verification). It also let me setup my gmail through outlook express. Now everytime I check my isp providers email account outlook checks my gmail also. This is the best part, both outlook and gmail let my forward mail to each other so if I'm on my Archos I have the outlook express forwarded to my Gmail account and if I'm on Gmail I have outlook express forwarded to my gmail.

Basically whatever email I use I get the email from the other account. Gmail also lets me make my isp email my default email so whenever I send an email from my Archos Gmail accont it show up as it came from My ISP account(rr.com). That way all the email I send will show it came from my Isp account regardless where it came from. Now I don't have to send out an email telling everyone I changed email accounts. It still shows I'm using the same email account.

Also I out for wings(met Lim10 out for wings and a beer) and both places the wifi worked great. The Archos worked great until the battery was low. I can't complain thogh, it lasted 9rhs of surfing the web and watching video.

Flyin

I was just on the website for Rock Box...firmware for my mp3 player (which does video too). Seems like Rock Box originally came out for the Archos.

I think Archos has several small Mp3 players out there. Just hooked up the DVR station through my cable box and recording right now. It shows the program guide which is pretty cool.

Flyin