Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fairfax County,virginia

Need some help folks. I’ve been invited to interview, possibly as early as this week, in Fairfax County. Looks like lots of clubs and other USPSA activities, so that’s not an issue. But I’m on a short time line. Where’s a good place in the area for a middle level government management person to live? Housing looks real high compared to the Midwest. Any other thoughts on the area? How bad are local politics?

Northern VA is a great place to shoot. At the local match today in Fredericksburg we shot with Todd Jarrett and Phil Strader. It is not unusual to have several M and GM's at local matches. Phil owns a gun store/range in Woodbridge, VA and holds an indoor match every month.

Living is another story. The cost of living is extremely high and there will be a culture shock if moving from the Midwest. Traffic is unbelievable. On the other hand there are many, many things to do and see in the area. All of the National Monuments, Smithsonian, and Civil War battlefields are all easy to get to and very interesting. Local politics in FFX County is mostly liberal Dems, but there have been changes in the wind.

Welcome to NOVA.

• 3 months later...

The best place to look is down the Route 66 corridor. The traffic is a little bad but the housing is more affordable. I live in Gainesville which is just on the west side of Manassas.

As far a shooting goes there is indoor at Shooters Paradise and the NRA Range. I help run the match at Shooters Paradise. Locally there are a lot of clubs that put on matches in this area. You could shoot a match every weekend, sometimes two, within an hour and a half.

email me if you have any questions kimber45@comcast.net

Mike

Wildman,

I work in DC, but live in 'The People's Republic of Maryland'. So....I can't be of too much help in the house hunting aspect but, if you do move to the area, I CAN help you in the shooting aspect. Phil Strader is close personal friend of mine and he lives in No VA. I'm sure he'll be glad to help you out any way he can. You can join his range for a nominal fee and pracrice up for all those club matches that are held in the area. If you'll be working in DC and don't mind living in a non-gun-friendly state, MD is a viable option and you get a little more for your housing dollar. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Todd

Wildman,

Cost of living is very high in the area, but to make it slightly more attractive us gov't folks get a cost of living allowance. I can't remember the exact amount, but if you'd like the figures send me an e-mail and I'll dig it up here at work.

On a personal note: I came here from Colorado and miss the West terribly. But sometimes you need to follow the work. On a positive note, there is plenty of great shooting and lotsa competition, and gov't jobs are stable with lots of holidays off.....