Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 issue - brass mangling / major jamming

needknees

I recently jumped headfirst into the singlestack world and ended up with two nice guns - A worked over Kimber in .40 and a STI Trojan in .45. The Kimber has been running wonderfully. The STI, however, has been giving me a headache trying to figure out what the heck it's doing. I've never really dealt with 1911s before this so bear with me.

The STI is frequently extracting a case and slamming it back into the slide/top of the chamber. The slide is locked back when this happens, and only on the last round in the mag. I'm using Wilson 47ds and running fairly warm ammo - it chrono'd at 179PF. I'm not sure what recoil spring is in the gun at this point but have a feeling it's either 14 or 16lbs. I did buy the gun used, I'm don't know what the previous owner had in there.

It happens on a number of different mags so I don't think that's the issue. I've tried it with the aformentioned Wilsons, 10rd CMCs, and 8rd MecGar mags all with the same result. The strange thing is it doesn't happen consistently - sometimes it'll run beautifully but other times it'll smash the hell of of brass every time you run it dry. And it's a bear to get out.

What the heck would cause this and how do I fix it? Is something buggered up with the extractor or ejector? I'm not familiar enough with 1911s to spot something out of whack right off the bat, but nothing seems to be obviously wrong. I did a little test at the recommendation of another shooter and with the slide off, a case fits snugly between the breach and extractor -- rotating the slide around in all directions it held the case there. But when pushed from the side it fell out fairly easily.

Any ideas?

Edited by needknees