Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stringing Shots To The Right - Help?

Zak Smith

I've been shooting virtually all the local IPSC matches for the last 2-3 months. My accuracy has always been good but my speed suffers. That's fine. I can work on speed.

Previously, I was able to consistently keep ten rounds of .45 in a 1.5" circle at 7 yards in slow-fire, and usually put it through the previous hole at-will.

Somehow in the last two weeks, I've started to throw shots to the right - about 1-2" and maybe another 1 or 2" high or low. Out of a mag of ten, I'll have about 4-5 where they should be, and another group about 1-2" to the right (and maybe up or down a little), and then maybe one or two more strung out to the right.

Interestingly, when I shoot faster - that is, perform the action of pulling the trigger faster - the rounds end up in the right place more often.

The only things that have changed in the last two weeks: I widened my rear sight notch about .04" wider, and I've been more tired than usual.

Any suggestions?

-z

Interestingly, when I shoot faster - that is, perform the action of pulling the trigger faster - the rounds end up in the right place more often.

Dude, you already have the answer.

Don't be afraid to shoot faster. :D

Seriously, though I'm reaching here, you may have programmed yourself to shoot even at a slightly mis-aligned FS & RS (not really bad though if you know the limits). By widening your RS, you've also opened your wiggle room for the FS. Hence, the stray shots. Well in all case, you can always go back to my first two sentences. :lol:

ding, ding, ding, ding ... we have a winner! Brian told me to stop that. You're never consistent with the pressure you apply. (Or you may think you are applying no pressure, but you are under recoil.) I had to put skateboard tape on my slide stop and frame. Whenever I felt it, I moved off it. Finally got to where I stopped touching it.