Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

R.I.P. SUMMER BLAST!

Hog Sniper

Just got the email from Linda Chico.....No more Sumer Blast...Heres the email for those of you who havent heard:

I have received a message from Larry Houck that informed me he has accepted a new job which will involve moving to New Mexico.

He will no longer be able to continue with the Summer Blast pistol match. All of the other principal administrative staff from Summer Blast are also involved with other major matches. None of us have the time to complete our roles plus assume the huge amount of work Larry did to make this match a success.

2008 was our last Summer Blast match. Larry removed it from the USPSA calendar. We are aware that this will disappoint a number of shooters, but we would rather not continue if we cannot maintain the high standards we have set in the past.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Summer Blast Statistician

Sad to see the Blast go away. I got to shoot with alot of great people there....(Learned alot!!)

Wow. That's too bad. But Larry did a great job, put in a ton of effort, and I can understand why they had to make the decision.

I remember the time Larry was running around (literally) looking for the gear to strap on a revolver and shoot the match so we could hit the magic 20 needed to qualify for Nationals slots! That was quite a sacrifice he was willing to make, for a shooter who is competitive in another division, purely to help us out.

I also remember when Larry came running (literally) with his medical kit after Sam unexplainedly passed out and fell to the ground during the Blast. Turns out he was simply dehydrated and after we got some fluids in him, he was able to finish the match (at 5th overall!), but it was very comforting to have Larry's trained and experienced hand on Sam's shoulder, and mine....

Anyway, we invite all the Summer Blast revolver regulars to shoot our July 3-5 Three Days of Revo match with us here in Iowa!

I just got the email. Looks like there will be no major matches for me this year. Area 8 is looking doubtful since that will be out of state. Last year's Summer Blast was my one and only major USPSA match and I was truly impressed by what I saw. I can't begin to understand what it takes to organize and run a match like that and I regret that at this point in my life I do not have the time to contribute. Thanks to all who made it what it was.

Dave Sinko

Good point. First and foremost, Larry deserves our thanks for all the great Blasts he worked hard to bring us over the years. Only after that should we begin debating/discussing/planning to revive the Summer Blast.

Wow. That's too bad. But Larry did a great job, put in a ton of effort, and I can understand why they had to make the decision.

I remember the time Larry was running around (literally) looking for the gear to strap on a revolver and shoot the match so we could hit the magic 20 needed to qualify for Nationals slots! That was quite a sacrifice he was willing to make, for a shooter who is competitive in another division, purely to help us out.

I also remember when Larry came running (literally) with his medical kit after Sam unexplainedly passed out and fell to the ground during the Blast. Turns out he was simply dehydrated and after we got some fluids in him, he was able to finish the match (at 5th overall!), but it was very comforting to have Larry's trained and experienced hand on Sam's shoulder, and mine....

Anyway, we invite all the Summer Blast revolver regulars to shoot our July 3-5 Three Days of Revo match with us here in Iowa!