Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheap sights on eBay

Jody Waring

I likely already know the answer, but was wondering if anyone has ever tried any of these red dot sights I have seen on eBay. I see knock-off Aimpoint Comps, Aimpoint micro's, Holosights, Docter replica's etc... Is it simply you get what you pay for with these? I doubt they would last on say an Open gun, but what about a rimfire pistol or rifle? I seen a knock-off Docter once, and I was actually surprised with the build quality as it had a metal body and the lens was glass not plastic like I expected. Probally first shot mounted on a handgun would destroy it though. Just curious if anyone has ever tried them. The Aimpoint Micro replica would be cool on my 10/22 ;)

Edited by Jody Waring

Its a definitely you get what you pay for situation - they are cheap chinese knockoffs. They like to bill themselves as "replicas" and some how skirt Ebays rules..... the licensing for Airsoft stuff (or lack there of) perpelexes me.

Having said that, they are usually no worse in quality than the cheapest scopes at a Gunshow - I had Leupold Makrk 4 3.5-10 and Aimpoint knockoffs I got in a silly trade with some other stuff..... the scope was suitable for a .22, but the glass was horrible and the adjustmenst did not track right and were mushy. The Aimpoint - the dot was not very bright, and was just sort of..... not right. I got rid of them.

I have friend with the Aimpoint Micro knockoff on a rifle, and he likes it ok.... he has real Aimpoints too, this one was for a .22 conversion AR I think - once again the dot is not quite as bright compared to the real one.

But if you are going to put a cheap $30 scope on your .22, one of these will work just fine. Other than that I don;t trust them. I'd rather go buy a BSA or something else that does not pretend to be something its not, and not support someone ripping off someone elses products. But thats just me.

That's pretty much what I figured. I don't like how the Aimpoint copies even have "Aimpoint" etched on them, when they definitely are not the real deal. I had a copy one time that looked like the OKO. It looked almost exactly like the real thing, but everything else about it was terrible. I gave it away, so I assume from my experience with this one would be similar to the other ones I see on there for sale. Thanks for the input.

A while ago a now defunct bullet maker had a line of copy cat red dot sights.. I tried the Docter style..Must say

it looked good.. But take the thing into a dim indoor range and the dot would disapear..Sent it back and saw that he had stopped

carying them soon after..

There was no country of origin but must assume that they were made in China on the cheap..

As I stated that was a while ago and maybe things have gotten a bit better..Must say I would not bet on it being changed..

Just might be worth a try ..You never know,things happen every now and again..

The best red dots to get off of ebay are the Japanese made Tasco PDP2 through PDP5 series of 30 and 42 mm tube sights. They can usually be had for a song and many are in very good condition as they have lived their lives on .22's. As most know, those sights if shot hard, stop working so the ones that show up on eBay generally have lived sedate lives.