Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 21 SF and my bald spot target!

silvir

Hello all,

My problems is that I might under-spring my Glock and harm it in some way. I guess I am looking for advice if I am doing it wrong. I have bought the Wolff guide along with reduced recoil calibration pack for my Glock after developing a nice and fairly soft reload. My reload is 230gr HAP bullet over 5.2 grs of W231 which I have worked up from 4.8 grs. I was using the stock spring and my bald spot was the perfect bulleye for my brass. My friends suggested I place a cup on my head to make brass collection easier! I installed the reduced power striker spring and started testing 15, 14 and 12 pound springs. The 14# spring and my current reload skips them over my right shoulder about 3 feet to the rear. I was wondering if I should go to the 12# spring, I am still very new at this and think I might be doing some harm to the pistol. Anyone have experience in using reduced power recoil springs in a 21?

Thank you for the reply .... Silvir

Too funny. If you do a search in this forum you will find a thread I started a while ago on this very topic with the same gun and similar (if not the same) loads!

I played with grip, springs, you name it. I started using the IMSI springs and switched to the Wolff kit. I shot the 12lb recoil for a while. Now I use the 15lb with very, very few cases coming straight back now.

Here's what I think- the 21 is designed and likes full power loads. I've easily "calibrated" other Glocks to my loads- this 21SF was a royal bitch. At the end of the day- I think it just needed a LONG break in and like I said- a 15lb spring. A 14lb spring worked good to but I wanted a litte extra assurance to chamber the rounds.

I now have been using my 5.2g 231 loads but will be doing new loads at 5.3-5.4gr 231.

I must say- for the first 1000 rounds or so I was very discouraged. Even with light recoil springs- rounds kept hitting me in the face. I'm glad I stuck it out though as this gun is extremely accurate and great shooting. Keep me posted!

Edited by lugnut

Thank you Lugnut for your fast reply. I will be experimenting with the 15# spring next week. I would have shot it today, Sunday. but the steel plate match got canceled because of snow. I currently have about 800+ rounds through this Glock. It is by far my most accurate pistol. For me its a toss up between this and my Model 34. The 21 has a FO Dawson front sight and the 34 has a Dawson ramp one. I really enjoy the FO outside but find it kinda useless in an indoor range situation.

Silvir

Edited by silvir

Thank you Lugnut for your fast reply. I will be experimenting with the 15# spring next week. I would have shot it today, Sunday. but the steel plate match got canceled because of snow. I currently have about 800+ rounds through this Glock. It is by far my most accurate pistol. For me its a toss up between this and my Model 34. The 21 has a FO Dawson front sight and the 34 has a Dawson ramp one. I really enjoy the FO outside but find it kinda useless in an indoor range situation.

Silvir

Indoors you just use the Dawson FO just like a regular black sight. I think this is probably one of the most accurate Glocks I have. I'm really surprised I don't see more in SSP/CDP in IDPA or even SS in USPSA.

In case you didn't see my post... I tried different grips, stances, etc. And although I've tried to tweak my grip - I do think somehow that the gun just loosened up a bit because originally when I tried a 15lb recoil spring- I still had brass hitting me in the head.

I have a very similar problem with my Glock 34, it spits brass back in my face, on top of my head, etc. On three different occasions, when I didn't wear a hat, I have had brass lodge between my shooting glasses and my face. That stuff is hot!! I have found that the lighter the load the more it throws brass on top of my head. I just wear a hat and go on since I am looking for the lightest load I can shoot and still have it cycle. I am using the standard recoil spring. Welcome to Glocks.

Jim

Silvir

Indoors you just use the Dawson FO just like a regular black sight. I think this is probably one of the most accurate Glocks I have. I'm really surprised I don't see more in SSP/CDP in IDPA or even SS in USPSA.

In case you didn't see my post... I tried different grips, stances, etc. And although I've tried to tweak my grip - I do think somehow that the gun just loosened up a bit because originally when I tried a 15lb recoil spring- I still had brass hitting me in the head.

You can shoot a 21 in USPSA SS??