Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Feeding Failure

trodrig

Last weekend I was shooting some drills and I had a feeding failure. Basically, the slide ran over the next round in the magazine. It stopped about 1/2 way up the case with the nose of the bullet just about 1/2 way up the feed ramp. Seems like the round wasn't up high enough to get stripped off by the slide. I was about 1/2 way through the magazine when it happened. I'm thinking maybe this was due to a weak magazine spring? What do ya'll think? I made a note of which mag it was but it did happen again the rest of the day. Specifics on the gun and load are below:

STI Trubore 38SC

New Starline Brass

MG 115 JHP at 1.240"

10.4gr N105

Dawson Tuned 140mm STI tube with Dawson follower and +1 basepad.

Mags and springs probably about a year and a half old but I've only shot about 6k through them over that period of time.

Thanks,

Thomas

Bolt over base in an otherwise problem free mag is usually soft springs, dirty mags, or a combination of the two. Be sure to clean the mags once in a while if you aren't already, it amazes me how dirty some of the mags I see are. Throw a couple new ISMI springs on the followers and go with it. Shooters Connection has the springs in stock.

EDIT: spelling.

Edited by HSMITH

I'm pretty sure they were clean. The malfunction happened near the beginning of my practice session so I don't think they had a whole lot of crude in them. I'll take'em apart tomorrow though and confirm. Sounds like it's time for new springs though!

One more question, with the ISMI springs, do I still need to trim them as indicated in the instructions with the Dawson followers?

Thanks!

Thomas

I must be getting old because I don't remember offhand, but I don't think you need to trim the top. I take ONE full turn from the end of the wire off the bottom of them though, and they last virtually for ever if you do and only try to load 19. Bend the last quarter inch of the wire up so that it will lay flat on the basepad.