Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hi Capacity Svi/sti/mccormick Mags?

miyamoto

Hello folks,

I am going about the process of getting into 3-gun and uspsa competition for limited and I have a place where I can purchase some pre-ban high capacity magazines made by SVI.

It says the SVI mags will work with STI and Mccormick frames/guns as well as SVI.

Question(s):

What is this Mccormick gun?

Kimber uses plenty of Mccormick parts and I was wondering if Kimbers hi-cap

polymer gun is made by Mccormick and if it can use these SVI mags?

I am trying to get a new gun quickly and on the cheap, so this would certainly speed things up.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Will S.

The "McCormick Gun" to which they refer is the forerunner of the current STI and S-V guns.

The frame was originally developed by Virgil Tripp and Chip McCormick and was dubbed the "Tripp-McCormick" or "McCormick" frame. It is no longer available commerically, although you can probably still find a gun or two for sale that has that frame.

The original and its descendants all use the same mags.

The current day McCormick stuff is marketed by the same Chip McCormick, but it's all for single stack 1911s and has nothing to do with the widebody guns.

From what I've heard, Chip put up the cash to get Virgil's hicap 1911 frame design off the ground, and in exchange got exclusive rights to it for a while. Anyway, it's been the same basic design since day 1. "Tripp/McCormick/STI/SV" are all compatible for the most part.

The grip logo variations I've seen go like so:

Early frames have "TRI" molded in the grip logo

CMC "McCormick" frames have the TRI milled out and a gold colored "CMC" logo plate inserted.

STI frames have "STI" molded into the grip logo (this is the only mold change I'm aware of)

SV frames have the STI milled out and a SV logo plate inserted. They also don't drill the lower decorative grip-screw hole.

Otherwise, they're all from the same mold.

I think the Kimber hicap uses Para mags, but could be wrong on that.

I think the Kimber hicap uses Para mags, but could be wrong on that.

It (as well as the BUL M5) frame can use Para mags if you either recut the mags for the Kimber's mag catch, or you get a new mag catch from Rescomp or Kimber of BUL M5.