Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Pro 1000

at retail the SDB and Pro 1000 are similar price. I do not know anyone who pay retail for Lee products.

SDB from Dillon $349.95

Pro 1000 from Lee $241.00 / from Midway $149.99

The SDB SELLS for more than twice as much as the Lee Pro 1000.

I am NOT addressing VALUE.

However, if you are honestly mechanically inclined you can get one to run just fine.

I guess that just depends. My father goes back to the days of hot rodding when you made anything you wanted and he's pretty handy with a mill, lathe, welder etc....we've done a number of ground up car restorations going from 1920s classics to 60's muscle and he's building a plane now. He hasn't been able to get his 1000 to work with any consistency....that says something to me. Maybe his being a slightly older model makes it different, but the new ones look pretty much the same to me.

The SDB SELLS for more than twice as much as the Lee Pro 1000.

....and it's worth....wait for it.....every bit of it :P

People talking about 200 rounds an hour with the Lee...that worries me. 400 an hour on an SDB is really taking your time and 600 is doable.

I have 2 1000's probably getting near 100K thru them

I load .45, 38 spl, .38 super, 9mm, .223

.45 I can load over 500rd/hr, almost the same with .38super.

.38spl is slower because its harder to see the powder in the case

The 1000's are not the greatest presses obviously, but they can make good ammo inexpensively

They take a little tuning and parts wear out or break.

If you can afford a Dillon get it. If you can't get the Lee

Edited by Supermoto

I too have 2 Pro 1000s. I load .45 acp, .40, .38 super, 9mm, 30 carbine and .223 with them. I mostly load .40, and 38 super for my match addiction, and have been using the pro 1000 for about 10 years now. I have loaded a few 1000 rounds with each of them. I probably have, on average, one malfunction per 100-200 rounds, nothing major, and it is usually really easy to clear. You do have to watch the primer feeder, and I do look in each case before placing the bullet on to seat. I have never used a Dillon, so I can't speak to how the lee compairs to it, but everyone seems to love them, so they must be good. I just don't think that the Lee, especially for the money, is so bad.

Thanks,

Z

The Hornady AP is the best bargain out there, BEFORE the 1000 free bullets. The changeover is fast and easy, and much cheaper than the kit for Dillon. A really nice press. Think really hard about this one before you do anything. I think it is a much better design than Dillon - solid frame. Better powder measure and powder hardware.