Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chronograph Setup

After running some new loads through the chronograph this weekend, I got to wondering about a few things. I have some tape marks on the struts that hold up the sky screen to indicate the proper height to shoot at, but my point of aim is actually a target at the end of the 50' range. So I'm not really sure where the bullet is actually going in relation to the chronograph.

It occurred to me that I should probably put a target immediately behind the chronograph to make sure I'm consistently hitting in the right spot. Which got me wondering if a better choice would be to put a target (with a hole in it) immediately in front of the chronograph instead?

Anyone have any suggestions?

After running some new loads through the chronograph this weekend, I got to wondering about a few things. I have some tape marks on the struts that hold up the sky screen to indicate the proper height to shoot at, but my point of aim is actually a target at the end of the 50' range. So I'm not really sure where the bullet is actually going in relation to the chronograph.

It occurred to me that I should probably put a target immediately behind the chronograph to make sure I'm consistently hitting in the right spot. Which got me wondering if a better choice would be to put a target (with a hole in it) immediately in front of the chronograph instead?

Anyone have any suggestions?

that's what I do - put a target up directly behind my chronograph. I use an Oehler and I get different readings depending upon where I shoot through the sky-screens (especially with 38 Super). If I shot low, closer to the sensors, I got one velocity. If I shot high, I got another. As long as I shoot directly in the the center of the sky-screens, I get a consistent velocity. So, a target with reference mark is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...