Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon trimmer is Hot! Seriously.. runs hot

Just a quick check to see if it's normal for my new Dillon "Rapid Trim 1200B Case Trimmer" to run so hot.

After 45 minutes or so of continuous use, I'm measuring 165F temperatures on the motor body. It's hot enough you wouldn't want to touch it.

I'm running a (noisy) shop vac the whole time, but that's not for motor cooling, of course.

Seems to run fine, but at those temps, I'm worried about longevity. I'm trimming .223, using a dedicated size/trim toolhead. I'm going about as fast as the Casefeeder will go.

As an aside, it's not clear that there's enough air travel to suck the brass out of the cases. I'm finding several cases with brass shavings down inside them. Is the vacuum supposed to clear all the chips, or should I be tapping these cases out?

Last, is there a required "hang time" on this trimmer? Can I just feed cases through as fast as possible and trust the high-speed motor will get a fair pass over them, or should I slow it down and give it time at the top of stroke?

Mine runs to hot too touch also. My vacuum doesn't get all the chips either but it is better than no vacuum at all. I was in a hurry one day and had to trim 50 .308's for a precision rifle match and the shop vac was upstairs, so, I ran it without the vac.

It throws shavings everywhere!

I am still finding brass shavings in odd ball places 9 months later.

I figure a few shavings here and there are no big deal with the vac.

Just a quick check to see if it's normal for my new Dillon "Rapid Trim 1200B Case Trimmer" to run so hot.

After 45 minutes or so of continuous use, I'm measuring 165F temperatures on the motor body. It's hot enough you wouldn't want to touch it.

I'm running a (noisy) shop vac the whole time, but that's not for motor cooling, of course.

Seems to run fine, but at those temps, I'm worried about longevity. I'm trimming .223, using a dedicated size/trim toolhead. I'm going about as fast as the Casefeeder will go.

As an aside, it's not clear that there's enough air travel to suck the brass out of the cases. I'm finding several cases with brass shavings down inside them. Is the vacuum supposed to clear all the chips, or should I be tapping these cases out?

Last, is there a required "hang time" on this trimmer? Can I just feed cases through as fast as possible and trust the high-speed motor will get a fair pass over them, or should I slow it down and give it time at the top of stroke?

Mine runs hot too, but not as hot as yours - it's warm to the touch, but not hot enough to burn. I only run about 200 cases through at a time (that how much I can lube in my improvised lube bin" - then cut everything off (the trimmer, the vac, the casefeeder) while I run the cases through the primer pocket swager, so my trimmer probably runs no more than 30 minutes at any one time before it gets a rest.

I get the same metal shavings inside the case too, but it's not too many. Plus, I always tumble my resized / trimmed brass again to get the lube off and this takes care of ridding the cases of the brass shavings.

When first using the trimmer, I found that case length was inconsistent if I ran it too quickly. Now, I "double-pump" the brass into the trimmer - that is, depress the lever all the way down for the first intial cut, let it up slightly, then depress it again and pause at the downstroke for about a second or two to ensure a good even cut. When I began using the "double-pump and pause" method, the brass started coming out a lot more uniform and I had less problems with brass shavings remaining on the newly trimmed case mouth.

Yes, you can brew a cup of tea on the heat from the trimmer. This is normal. The motor is a DC motor, with a bridge rectifier.

Sealed motors do run hot, and are designed for it. :cheers:

Excellent. I thought those were motor brushes I saw on there. If the motor doesn't mind the heat, I don't mind.

Any advice on trim time? Can we rock at full casefeeder speed, or does it need one-onethousand two-onethousand time to work its magic? Seems like a pretty high speed cutter.