Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 crimp swage idea

Like some folks here, I have two .223 toolheads.. one for sizing and Trimming (Dillon 1200), and one for reloading.

It seems like a small variation to the primer seating plunger could allow it to swage the primer pocket crimps out on the first pass, as part of the size/trim stage. I'm not loading primers there anyway.

The primer punch has a post that is larger than the small pocket, of course:

primer-punch.png

If it was perhaps smaller and tapered instead, like the punch in the Super Swager, then it could swage open the primer pockets on the upstroke!

This would save quite a bit of time and handling. Has anyone tried this? I've experimented with primer punch disassembly before, and learned my lesson there. It would take some kind of machine press to reassemble the splined piece.

I can't be the first person to think of this -- anything like it already on the market? Seems like a UniqueTek product opportunity! :)

Even just a standard small punch with the corners beveled off might do the trick. It doesn't have to enter the primer pocket fully, right?

The case would be supported only by the rim, rather than the inside. How does the 1050 do it?

You wrote:

How does the 1050 do it?

Don't pay any attention to the motorized arm driving this 1050.

Pay attention to that little black rod that goes up and down.

I think that's what swages out the crimped in primer pockets.

This opens in windows media player, BTW:

http://mnmapsa.com/Video/reloadingpress.wmv

I think there is a "backer rod" that comes down also and supports the bottom of the case as the swaging rod is pushing up.

Somebody else here a while back thought of about the same idea as you but for a 550 instead.

I think we kinda all agreed that without a backer rod you would just end up pulling the "rim" off the case and/or it would just be flung out of the shellholder/shellplate.

I'm not all that familiar with how the 650 and the 1050 operates.

Some experts will be along shortly...I'm sure. ;)

("Pay no attention to the motor arm"? That's like saying.. "ignore the fact that she's nude, check out the watchband!") :)

Very interesting!

It seems internal support is needed/preferred for swaging, then.

A contraption that adds a motorized primer pocket chamfer/reaming head under the primer station would be... more work.

It probably would work. You will need to add the backer pin that comes down into the case and holds the case down against the de-crimper. The ones for different calibers for the 1050 also have a belling function. sounds like a great idea!

jj

It probably would work. You will need to add the backer pin that comes down into the case and holds the case down against the de-crimper. The ones for different calibers for the 1050 also have a belling function. sounds like a great idea!

jj

I have an original 1050, not the Super 1050 and at the swaging station there is no 'belling function'. Is this a Super 1050 addition?

The top support dies for the deswaging station Dillon make for the 1050 work fine on a 650, I use one for a belling die, they just screw right into the die threads. I think they cost $12???

I'm not sure how the deswaging would work without something holding the case down, I don't think the shell plate is strong enough not to bend when deswaging.

jj

It's not the shell plate I'm worried about, but the case rims, of course.

That said, I've seen what it takes to rip the rim off a .223 (stuck in the size die), and it's not a small amount of force. Maybe with the right taper, a swaging punch could be used with only rim support?

Does any other press/contraption do this? (swage with only a shellplate hold)

The Super Swage doesn't feel like much force, but it has a very magnified cam action, so it could be deceiving.

DUHHH!

I just realized, the top supporting die won't work on the 650 to support the case during deswaging you are describing, the primer seat is not operating when the ram is up, but on the top of the stroke, when the ram is down...

at any rate, it still sounds like something that is possible.

jj

If you took a piece of steel, round stock, cut some external threads on it like a regular die 7/8 X 14, then drilled lengthwise (axially) a hole that was about 0.200" in diamter... ya might be on to something

The basic prototype would have a hole drilled and tapped for a set screw, radially.

Then drop in a long steel rod about 0.200" in diameter to act as the backer support.

Insert case into the "swagging" station location. Push rod down through "die" , into the case against the inside of the head.

Tighten set screw.

Push on the 650 or 550 all the way forward to get the swaging punch run up into the underside of the case.

Loosen set screw, pull down on handle (ram goes up), temporarily tighten set screw to keep rod from dropping, push handle up ( ram goes down), rotate shell plate by hand (or automatically on the 650), another case gets inserted into the swaging station.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Sounds kinda tedious right now, though.

If you have to trim off press, I'd rather just use the

to trim. Then use the tool holder to hold a chamfering/deburring tool and take out the primer crimps that way, with the chamfering tool. Edited by Chills1994