Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun in Central Illinois at Lefthanders

It's that time of year again. The weather sucks, the range is soggy, the wind is cold and a young man's thoughts turn to warm brass in piles to the right of the shooting position....

That's right, it's 3-gun time again! This year I will be having three matches, as follows: 3/29/09, 5/31/09 and 8/30/09. I think I am clear of any major conflicts so far, but that might only be because I am either first or just don't know. Match info will be posted on ar15.com in the Illinois Hometown forum and on Brianenos.com in the 3 gun match announcements [here]. If I have time, I will come up with a dedicated page for stages, rules and scores also.

The lifetime average for my 3gun matches is a 90% chance of rain, but we shoot rain or shine. I will have water-resistant pens and scoresheets available. If you watch the video, you will note it is raining so hard the camera cannot even see the targets.

I am going to try to stick as closely to DPMS tri-gun rules as possible:

http://www.trigunchallenge.com/pages/rules.html

The biggest exception to this will be classes. Because my matches are smaller, there aren't enough shooters to break down scores by class and division, so there will be 2 divisions, Heavy Metal [.308 or larger, 12 ga. pump, .45 ACP]. and Everything Else. If there aren't enough Heavy Metal shooters, I will just run everyone togeather. As far as gear, pretty much anything goes as long at it is SAFE. If there is any question, Email or call me. I will also be simplifying the scoring system a bit, a Failure to Neutralize will be 5 seconds, a Failure to Engage will be 10 seconds and a No-shoot will be 10 Seconds. This will be explained again at the outset of each match.

Each match will be 4-6 stages.

Place: Lefthanders Gun Club

Price: $10 [reshoots $10 and only allowed after everyone has shot once.]

Dates: 3/29/09, 5/31/09 and 8/30/09

Times:

Setup 6 AM [Prop setup will begin at noon on the Saturday prior.]

Signup 8 AM

Mandatory shooters meeting 9am, shooting begins immediately after.

MINIMUM Round counts will vary, but as a rule, bring:

100+ Pistol

100+ Rifle

10+ Slugs [plain lead slugs only, no copper or anything fancy that damages targets, I suggest the managed recoil slugs]

50+ Birdshot [#6 shot or smaller, NO buckshot]

Every Stage is combned Arms with a transition between long arm(s) and pistol.

Rifle ranges from 0-200 yds and will be shot using 1/4 scale IPSC targets and steel knockdowns.

Shotgun targets can be clay pigeons, IPSC targets and steel knockdowns.

Pistol targets will be IPSC targets and steel knockdowns.

Slings will be allowed on certain stages, subject to safety issues, specifically, the muzzle must hang down and not ever sweep outside of a 1 meter circle or break the 180. Grounding areas will be provided for those not having or using slings.

Lefthanders members wishing to get work hours can contact me directly, or just show up. There are several jobs that don't require any prior experience, and I REALLY need the help. Dan could you put a blurb about this in the newsletter that nobody reads? If anyone has an ATV that they could bring out to speed up scoring on the long range, that really helps speed things up.

If you have any questions, comments or requests, feel free to call or email Barry Oliver.

I am going to have to get to at least one of these this year. I don't know if you are worried about pistol matches conflicting with your schedule, but the Drazy Steel 500 is being held at PASA the weekend of May 31st. I sure would like to be able to do both. Do you know what your smallest target will be at your max distance of 200yds?

Thanks.

Well, darn it. I didn't really have much choice on my days, the 5th Sunday is the only time that doesent have another group using the range, at my range. It works out OK, though, because I don't really have the time to put on a monthly match.

I am still working on the stage designs, but the potentially smallest targets are 1/4 scale IPSC targets at 200 yards, but if the weather is iffy, I will probably bring them a bit closer. Last year, I had the mini's at about 150, and in the rain, I had a hard time with them with a 10X scope. I will post the designs here when I am done.

• 2 months later...

Here are Tentative Stage designs, depending on how crazy the weather wants to get...

[span style=color: red]The ROUND COUNTS might be:

94 Rifle, 47 Shot, 8 slugs, and 58 Pistol. [/span]

Those are wild ass guesses, if the range has flooding or it is raining or snowing those #'s will change.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Barry we playing in the snow??? I'm up for it if you are.....

It's that time of year again. The weather sucks, the range is soggy, the wind is cold and a young man's thoughts turn to warm brass in piles to the right of the shooting position....

That's right, it's 3-gun time again! This year I will be having three matches, as follows: 3/29/09, 5/31/09 and 8/30/09. I think I am clear of any major conflicts so far, but that might only be because I am either first or just don't know. Match info will be posted on ar15.com in the Illinois Hometown forum and on Brianenos.com in the 3 gun match announcements [here]. If I have time, I will come up with a dedicated page for stages, rules and scores also.

The lifetime average for my 3gun matches is a 90% chance of rain, but we shoot rain or shine. I will have water-resistant pens and scoresheets available. If you watch the video, you will note it is raining so hard the camera cannot even see the targets.

I am going to try to stick as closely to DPMS tri-gun rules as possible:

http://www.trigunchallenge.com/pages/rules.html

The biggest exception to this will be classes. Because my matches are smaller, there aren't enough shooters to break down scores by class and division, so there will be 2 divisions, Heavy Metal [.308 or larger, 12 ga. pump, .45 ACP]. and Everything Else. If there aren't enough Heavy Metal shooters, I will just run everyone togeather. As far as gear, pretty much anything goes as long at it is SAFE. If there is any question, Email or call me. I will also be simplifying the scoring system a bit, a Failure to Neutralize will be 5 seconds, a Failure to Engage will be 10 seconds and a No-shoot will be 10 Seconds. This will be explained again at the outset of each match.

Each match will be 4-6 stages.

Place: Lefthanders Gun Club

Price: $10 [reshoots $10 and only allowed after everyone has shot once.]

Dates: 3/29/09, 5/31/09 and 8/30/09

Times:

Setup 6 AM [Prop setup will begin at noon on the Saturday prior.]

Signup 8 AM

Mandatory shooters meeting 9am, shooting begins immediately after.

MINIMUM Round counts will vary, but as a rule, bring:

100+ Pistol

100+ Rifle

10+ Slugs [plain lead slugs only, no copper or anything fancy that damages targets, I suggest the managed recoil slugs]

50+ Birdshot [#6 shot or smaller, NO buckshot]

Every Stage is combned Arms with a transition between long arm(s) and pistol.

Rifle ranges from 0-200 yds and will be shot using 1/4 scale IPSC targets and steel knockdowns.

Shotgun targets can be clay pigeons, IPSC targets and steel knockdowns.

Pistol targets will be IPSC targets and steel knockdowns.

Slings will be allowed on certain stages, subject to safety issues, specifically, the muzzle must hang down and not ever sweep outside of a 1 meter circle or break the 180. Grounding areas will be provided for those not having or using slings.

Lefthanders members wishing to get work hours can contact me directly, or just show up. There are several jobs that don't require any prior experience, and I REALLY need the help. Dan could you put a blurb about this in the newsletter that nobody reads? If anyone has an ATV that they could bring out to speed up scoring on the long range, that really helps speed things up.

If you have any questions, comments or requests, feel free to call or email Barry Oliver.

Barry we playing in the snow??? I'm up for it if you are.....

isarIL_.gif

Yup, looks like SNOW.

The Stages have been modified to speed them up, and the round count lowered a bit. Where's the %$#^@! edit button here??

Anyway the modified ROUND COUNTS might be: [minimum]

52 Rifle, 36 Shot, 4 slugs, and 61 Pistol.

These numbers have been reduced due to the impending weather to speed up clearance times.