Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HighVelocity

HighVelocity

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another great weekend of shooting behind me. Steel plates in the morning and a little 2 gun match tonight with Catfish at a local indoor range. It was reeeeeaaalllyyy noisy. Black rifles and 556 brass everywhere. :devil:

Of course, my AR was no match for the mighty GSG5. :lol:

...No expectations = better performance. Now I just have to remember it.

If you try to remember it then you will be expecting no expectations... you need to commit it to your subconscious...

Congrats on making IDPA MA...

...No expectations = better performance. Now I just have to remember it.

If you try to remember it then you will be expecting no expectations... you need to commit it to your subconscious...

Congrats on making IDPA MA...

My subconscious should've been committed years ago. :roflol:

Spent a few hours at the range today with my friend, working on basic stuff. We set the par time for "all you can get" at 3 seconds (trying to make the ammo last longer) and I was consistantly getting 15 shots in the A zone @ 7 yards with my Caspian doublestack 9mm from the holster. Felt good too. The gun ran and my trigger finger was working well.

I am most excited about my buzzer to first shot time though. I'm finally seeing consistent sub 1 sec A hits. In the .9x range but that beats the heck out of the 1.3x times I've been getting before today. The more I shoot, the harder it is to get those tiny improvements.

Adding a new goal for this year. 1st shot from the holster (with A hits) consistently in the .8x range. I'm going to do it!

Adding a new goal for this year. 1st shot from the holster (with A hits) consistently in the .8x range. I'm going to do it!

Very good... I will be interested to see sub 0.8 hits in the 0dn/A zone at the matches.

Thanks, me too. :roflol: Bear in mind, no concealment was used. I'm not real concerned with my draw speed while wearing concealment since I'm shooting mostly steel and USPSA these days.

For the first time in a long time, I went all weekend without firing a shot. It was my Dad's 60th birthday so I spent the entire weekend with him. Even though there were multiple shooting events going on, I didn't miss them at all. It was a much needed break.

:cheers:

Very good... I will be interested to see sub 0.8 hits in the 0dn/A zone at the matches.

Thanks, me too. :roflol: Bear in mind, no concealment was used. I'm not real concerned with my draw speed while wearing concealment since I'm shooting mostly steel and USPSA these days.

I will not count that against you... as I am sure you were demonstrating your draw speed to George or Bill :)

Good for you Gary. There are a lot more shooting matches than there are Dads. I did not shoot this weekend either. Barb had Sat and Sun off and we spent it together.

George

I had a fun day of shooting today and shot two matches. A 2 gun (rifle/pistol) match this morning and an IDPA match this evening. Both were bigtime fun! right now, I am really enjoying shooting my rifle. I used to think I was satisfied with just shooting pistols. Definitely not the case lately.

Toward the end of this evenings match, I was feeling some fatigue. I am hoping that the weight loss will improve my endurance. It's been a lot of work making sure that I'm getting the nutrition I need and staying away from the drive-thru but I know it's going to pay off.

I went to the Dr on Thursday and my BP was 110/77 and I've lost another 5lbs. I'm on-track to get where I want to be.

Went through 700ish rounds of 22lr in just a few hours yesterday. Would've shot more if I had it. It was a little surprising how fast it went away. I guess being consumed by pure joy made time irrelevant. :wub:

Better not let your boss find out!! :roflol::roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

No worries since I am the boss. :rolleyes:

Got to shoot USPSA Single Stack in Waco Saturday and IDPA CDP today, with a couple of rifle stages added to the mix. Catfish was on fire and nobody even came close. I was second and happy with my performance.

Next weekend is 2tap, I can't stand the waiting! :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

Shot SSTK at DTC, as planned. I did not plan on freezing my tail off. Three of us car pooled up on Friday, hoping to watched some of the big shots shoot (Travis, Manny, etc). Saw Travis shoot one stage, that was it. Friday's weather made what were probably the worst range conditions I'd ever seen. :wacko:

I did get to meet Diana Lee and Mike Cyrwus, so going up Friday wasn't a total loss.

Oh yeah, we saw Dave Re at Ihop Friday morning and even though we've all shot with him several times in Waco, and he made an attempt to chat with us, we had no idea who he was since we'd never seen him without a bright yellow shirt, shades, cap and muffs. Whoops. :blush: We were 30 minutes down the road before we realized it. I apologized the next day.

Anyway, the DTC was my first BIG USPSA match experience, having only recently come over from IDPA. My goals for the match were to be safe, call all my shots and get no penalties. I ended up with 4 or 5 D's in the entire match and maybe 30 or so C's. The rest all A's. The only penalty I got was a foot fault in the Temple of Boom. I heard a lot of folks got that one though.

I could've shot faster, scored a few less points and come out better in the end but I had fun and was satisfied with the outcome.

One thing I learned from the cold weather Saturday was that even though it feels like I'm firmly seating the mag, it may not actually be seated unless it hurt when I did it. :roflol:

I'm thinking about area 4 in October now... So much to work on before then.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some practice time in with my shooting buddy last Wednesday to get ready for Bluff Dale Firearms Academy's 1st Annual 2 gun match (carbine/pistol). We mostly worked on transitioning between the two systems. It was a very productive practice session and I saw some issues that definitely needed correction, which I did.

The match was Saturday. It rained quite a bit in the days leading up to the match so it was pretty muddy in the morning, and a little chilly but it got better as the day progressed.

This was not your typical game. The scoring was brutally unforgiving and penalties were handed out frequently. In 4 stages (stage 3 was run once with rifle only, once with pistol only), so really 5 stages, I earned 1 procedural and 1 FTN. The FTN took 4 rifle rounds in the chest but that wasn't good enough for this target, as mentioned, scoring was tuff.

I went into the match with no expectations, other than to have fun with my friends and shoot a respectable match. I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome.

Scores: http://bluffdalefirearmsacademy.com/scoresheet.aspx

My rifle and pistol both ran 100%. This was also the first time I'd used the Firebird Pmag coupler in a match and I really like it.

Maybe not this year, but I see some 3 gunning in my future because this stuff is too much fun. For now, I've checked another goal off of my 2009 list.