Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HighVelocity

HighVelocity

I've been thinking about starting my own range diary for a while so what the heck, here goes.

I'm kicking of 2009, my 3rd year of competitive shooting, with a bang. My goals for this year are;

1) Lose 50 lbs before Christmas by improving diet and increasing excercise (this is most important to me)

2) Move from B to A in USPSA

3) Move from EX to MA in IDPA

4) Practice better and more often

5) Be HOA at a plate match

6) Be HOA at a carbine match

I'm going to be 41 yrs old soon and even though I'm getting a late start at this, I'm having the time of my life. I've got a good grasp of the mental game and am determined to be the best that I can be.

Today, I shot a match in freezing temperature with good friends, unfamiliar equipment and targets I never practice on. It was great! I love new challenges.

Gary

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Guys. I will continue to pick your brains. Y'all haven't steered me wrong yet. :cheers:

Books read so far:

Practical Shooting, beyond fundamentals

With Winning in Mind

Refinement and Repetition

Practical Shooting Manual

Sweeney

McGivern

Kuhnhausen manuals (I believe detailed knowledge of the hardware helps better utilize it)

Videos studied:

Leatham

Burkett

Miculek

Various major match vids

I appreciate the support, and prayers. :D

Chef, don't worry... I have no interest in shooting Open. I'm still diggin' my iron sights.

Today, I shot CDP in a local IDPA match that turned out to be a lot more match than I expected. 8 stages and a whole lotta bullets. I got happy finger right off the bat and started shooting beyond my sights and that didn't start things off too well. I did my best to reel it in on the remaining stages and just about made HOA but ended up 2nd Overall, first in CDP. The sunshine was downright brutal on my sight picture. It seems like my eyes are becoming more sensitive to bright sun because I don't remember having this issue recently. Maybe I need darker glasses?

I'm sitting here relaxing now, contemplating shooting the indoor IDPA match in Dallas in a few hours. It was my plan to go, but man, I am whipped. 45 ammo is depleted so I'll have to shoot ESP if I go. Sitting at the press to make 45 ammo right now doesn't sound like much fun. :rolleyes:

who am I kidding... I'll be there. Can't pass up a chance to beat Catfish. :sight:

FWIW:

be careful with the sunglasses. I learned from another seasoned shooter about "focus" and the darker the shades the less focus you have at further targets. I played with sunglasses and now use a light tint with polarization. I have better clarity on all targets. You will notice that even on bright sunny days, you see allot of amber and yellow.

I guess I'll have to experiment with sunglasses again. Being a contact lense wearer doesn't help.

Well, I should have stayed home tonight. Half the range was unavailable for the first half of the evening due to a scheduling snafu and 33 shooters showed up, included maybe 8 1st timers. It was chaotic at best. I tanked the first stage but made the best of the other 3. Looks like I was 2nd overall and 1st ESP but the score sheets were a mess so there's no telling. I may have asked too much of myself today and it made me get sloppy. Oh well. Pacing myself has been difficult but I'm going to work on it.

anyway, it's always good to spend time with friends at the range.

I guess I'll have to experiment with sunglasses again. Being a contact lense wearer doesn't help.

Well, I should have stayed home tonight. Half the range was unavailable for the first half of the evening due to a scheduling snafu and 33 shooters showed up, included maybe 8 1st timers. It was chaotic at best. I tanked the first stage but made the best of the other 3. Looks like I was 2nd overall and 1st ESP but the score sheets were a mess so there's no telling. I may have asked too much of myself today and it made me get sloppy. Oh well. Pacing myself has been difficult but I'm going to work on it.

anyway, it's always good to spend time with friends at the range.

Look at it like this, you got good practice for a 10 stage one day match. Its what I loved about shooting the local match here that we could run twice. I saw it not as 2 seperate 5 stage matchs but a continuous 10 stage match and made myself stay focused the whole day.

I shot the Metal Mania plate match at the Dallas Pistol Club today. I used a G17L that I never drew from the holster until the buzzer went off on my first stage today. It was my best performance so far with a centerfire pistol at a plate match. 1st place auto stock A and 6th out of 41 shooters overall (all centerfire classes/divisions, including Open).

It felt pretty good. B)

I know I know I know... I really should pick one platform and stick with it if I want to reach my potential. BUT, I enjoy shooting EVERYTHING! :goof:

This was my 1st A class win so I have to win it 3 more times before I get bumped to AA. That's going to put me in the pond with Mick, Rags and Dwain. It's a deep pond.

Oh yea, I have already lost 11 lbs too.

Edited by HighVelocity

Got out my S&W 625 today and spent about 30 minutes in dry fire re-acquainting myself with it. A few of the regulars at the Dallas Pistol Club thought it would be fun to have a bunch of wheelguns at their Real World Gun match this Saturday. (loosely based on IDSA rules). I figured, yeah, that might be fun.

So I got into my stash of Federal primers and Berry's bullets and loaded up a few hundred rounds. I'll shoot the local indoor IDPA match tomorrow night to warm up. I haven't shot this gun since last April. :wacko:

Shot 5 stages at the local IDPA match this evening. Most requiring 2 reloads for ESR/SSR. I was really concerned about the 625 pointing naturally after not shooting it for so long but finding the front sight turned out to be a non issue. Reloading the #2 moonclip was less than stellar. I hunted for the 2nd reload every time. Guess I'm a little rusty with the round gun. :blush:

There was a pretty good turnout of wheelgunners, which was a pleasant surprise. I think we had 5 out of 21 shooters.

My takeaway from tonight was that weak hand trigger control needs work.

It's amazing how fast the weather can change. Lived in TX nearly my entire life and it still catches me by surprise. Woke up to low 30's and I don't think it ever got over 35 degrees.

But, I went and shot anyway. I must be out of my mind.

22 shooters, 5 of us with revolvers. I figured out why I was hunting for my 2nd reload and fixed it. Suddenly my reloads got a lot faster, imagine that. :rolleyes:

On the fence about the plate match tomorrow. It's hard to learn anything when my teeth are chattering.

Edited by HighVelocity

I couldn't stay away from the plate match today. I won A class and was 5th overall (one position better than last week).

My best finish so far at a plate match. One more A class win and I'll be in AA class, which is where the grownups play. :unsure:

All runs start from surrender so I chose to work on my starting hand position and getting to the gun faster. I feel like I ironed out a few wrinkles in my draw and out of 25 draws on the clock, only had one that was uncomfortable (grabbed gun too high).

In general, I'm not a Glock guy but the 17L and Dawson sights seem to work well in this application. Maybe I should think about getting a 1911 with a 6" slide. That would be pretty sweet.

In two hours, I'll be at a 2gun (pistol rifle) match based on IDPA rules. This time I'm going to use my house rifle. It hasn't had a workout in a while. I'll put the reg 17 slide back on and use the same pistol that I shot plates with since that's the trigger my brain is programmed on today. Besides, it's already in the range bag. :lol:

Well, good thing I shot my house rifle tonight. The gas key came loose and it wouldn't run. :o I was/am pretty upset about it. That was the first time that I have ever not finished a stage due to equipment failure. That is just unnaceptable to me. I'll have it back in action before next weekend though.