Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing primers

trodrig

So, I went into a local gun shop over the weekend and was lucky enough to find that they had 10k Federal Small Rifle primers in stock! I've used Winchester small rifle exclusively in 38SC up to this point but they seem to be unavailable ANYWHERE so I snatched up the Federals before I run out! I was wondering by how much I should back off the powder charge and work back up when changing primer brands.

In general, do ya'll back the charge weight off maybe 5% or 10% and work back up?

Thanks!

Thomas

The Hodgdon Load data and most of the posts here don't even list the primer for loads.

I just started reloading, and I loaded up a series of test-loads, all with Titegroup and 125 LRN cast bullets.

The Hodgden data listed loads fom 3.6-4.0 Gr at an OAL of 1.125. I loaded 10 of each for my first tests, with Federal Small Pistol primers.

I only had 200 of the Federals around, and then got a deal on 1000 Winchesters at the gun show.

At low PF loads, shooting Titegroup, HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE is the primer going to make?

Should I only be concerned with hot/high-pressure loads like 38 Super, 40, or 9mm Major?

Thanks,

JW

For handgun loads using SR primers, I've switched them ( Win, Wolf, Fed ) and seen no difference. But then I tear the tags off the mattress so take that for what it's worth.

If you are worried, load up 2 or 3, fire them 1 at a time, empty magazine, and check for primer flow & flattening. I do not think you will be able to see any difference from the Win SR primer.

Now, if your current load is pushing a 115 gr bullet @ 1800 fps, Then I'd follow AzShooters advice.

Thanks guys! I'll load up a handful and see how they compare. The 2 new powders I'm working up with are just barely making major with the Winchesters so I'm not really pushing the envelope here.

Thomas

For handgun loads using SR primers, I've switched them ( Win, Wolf, Fed ) and seen no difference. But then I tear the tags off the mattress so take that for what it's worth.

If you are worried, load up 2 or 3, fire them 1 at a time, empty magazine, and check for primer flow & flattening. I do not think you will be able to see any difference from the Win SR primer.

Now, if your current load is pushing a 115 gr bullet @ 1800 fps, Then I'd follow AzShooters advice.

I understand primer flattening. Can spmeone explain primer flow? What is it? Why does it happen? Is it bad?

Jeff