Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lead, Jacketed Or Plated Bullets...

racer x

i practice at an indoor range with a steel backstop and trap...most of the splatter i have noticed come from jacketed or plated bullets...this could also just mean that most of the shooters are using jacketed or plated bullets...since the range bans the use of hollowpoints and i have also heard of some ranges requiring use of lead bullets only, is there any truth to the rumor that lead bullets splatter the least?...thanks in advance...

Hmmm...I would think that the indoor ranges would ban lead and insist on plated or jacketted.

But what I do I know, I haven't shot at an indoor range in about 30 years and then we were all shooting lead...a lot of which was cast at least in part from the linotype discarded by the print shop upstairs above the range. :)

FWIW...I have caught a LOT more splatter off steel from lead than I have from jacketted. But that may just be my luck.

Agree w/ Kimmel - have caught shrapnel off cast lead far more often than w/ jacketed - though I have seem some nasty jacketed "low-velocity roll-backs" including one that penetrated the RO's fingernail.

Racer X,

FWIW, check the condition of the backstop. If there are any dimples in the plates, missing screw heads that attach the plates, or any lead buildup. All three might cause splash back.

At the indoor range I use, lead builds up at the top ( the plates are angled upwards ). Once this is clean, very little splash back, if any. Until them, look out!!!!