Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 cal low powder charge

4string

I am shooting a Tanfoglio Stock II in production division and have found a load that is accurate and very soft in recoil. While I haven't chronoed it yet, I think it will be over the 125 power factor. I am loading a 180 grain fmj bullet with an OAL of 1.31 using 3.6 grains of Universal Clays. After reading a few forums, I now have a concern regarding low detonation.

Here is what the Hodgson web-site lists for min and max loads.

Cartridge: 40 S&W

Load Type: Pistol

Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maximum Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

180 GR. HDY XTP Hodgdon Universal .400" 1.125" 5.0 973 26,500 PSI 5.8 1046 33,400 PSI

Should I have any reason to be worried? If so what would you recommend as the lowest to go.

I am loading a 180 grain fmj bullet with an OAL of 1.31 using 3.6 grains of Universal Clays.

I am loading 180 Magma bullet over 2.9 grs of Clays and getting a PF of 135. Accuracy is good out of my G23 with a Storm Lake barrel

A 180gr bullet loaded to factory OAL in a .40 doesn't leave a whole lot of wasted case volume and it's not like you're trying to run 2gr or anything crazy light. Lots of folks have powder charges in the 3's without any problems at all. I wouldn't worry about it honestly.

Any signs of detonation to watch for? I've never really seen this happen before.

I don't think you'll find anyone that's ever seen detonation in a pistol round...frankly, I'm skeptical that it even exists. Large, bottleneck rifle rounds, maybe but from what I've read, even there it's very difficult to reproduce under controlled conditions.

Any signs of detonation to watch for? I've never really seen this happen before.

I don't think you'll find anyone that's ever seen detonation in a pistol round...frankly, I'm skeptical that it even exists. Large, bottleneck rifle rounds, maybe but from what I've read, even there it's very difficult to reproduce under controlled conditions.

I've never heard of it either which is why I've asked. Yes again to the rifle, hence all of the filler products you can buy!

There is a great deal of confusion about Clays vs Universal Clays due to the name, but they are very different. You may be able to load a minor PF round with Universal, but a number of experts are dead against using it for major as it is, apparently, very subject to over-pressure problems at higher loads.

I've never heard of it either which is why I've asked. Yes again to the rifle, hence all of the filler products you can buy!

If you search on .38 Special wadcutter loads you'll find tons of references to detonation. I've heard it called the "bullseye surprise". The debate has gone on for decades and likely will never stop. Guys loading something like 2.7gr of Bullseye under a 148gr wadcutter and the gun turns into shrapnel....cylinder fails, topstrap split in half etc. One side says they're double charges and then the other side counters that even a double charge wouldn't do that much damage...then they say it could have been a triple charge. You get the idea....it just goes back and forth. The detonation believers suggest that with a long case and a tiny charge the powder is all lying on the side of the case and the primer flash lights the powder all at once and this causes a detonation rather than a rapid burn.

Everything I've read from the experts and powder companies says that they have never seen a documented case of detonation and they have never been able to reproduce it in their testing...to include large bottle neck rifle cases.

I've been looking back over past posts in various fora and it may be I mis-spoke. The problem may be with International Clays. There are several posts regarding the use of "Clays" in major and problems with over-pressure loads. In some cases, the discussion is clearly about Clays. In others, it's unclear if they are referring to Universal or International or just plain Clays.

Very confusing.