Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check my data please

RustySocket

Working up a load using Unique for my G20.

Here's what I have come up with extrapolating data from Speer #13 Manual

7.5g Unique 175g JHP 1.250oal .

Searching the forums now leads me to think this is maybe hotter than it needs to be. But seems in the low end of the suggested range for the data I have on hand. Why the discrepancies in what I'm seeing here. I also have some WW 180gr JHP and Ranier 155FP

Can anyone give me some starting points or at least confirm my charge (7.5)

Thanks

Something isn't making sense to me.

Alliant shows 8.0g unique for a 180gr at 1.25 oal 10% reduction would be 7.2

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Rec...42&bdid=126

Speer #13 shows 7.2 - 8.0 as well....

Yardbird, what manual are you using? I'm trying to reasonably account for the discrepancies I'm reading here versus what I have read published.

Are you trying to find a major PF load for USPSA?

My Speer #12 manual has always given me hotter loads than my other manuals and I believe they use Speer bullets for their data. The current alliant data online says 8.0gr with a Speer Gold Dot HP.

That said...

Older Alliant manual says, 180gr 7.0gr Unique 1125fps

Hornady 7th 180gr 7.1gr Unique 1100fps

Sierra 4th 180gr 6.3gr 950fps

Those are all MAX loads.

Speer #12 says 8.0gr Unique 1138 & 7.2gr for 1043 with a 180gr Gold Dot HP.

With a GDHP I might start at 6.8gr-ish shooting for around 1000fps for 170 PF.

With the above noted Sierra bullet and the Speer data I think I'd be way over the 6.3gr max load the Sierra book lists.

Not sure why you got 7.5gr if you are shooting USPSA but you didn't say what you were doing the load for.

Hope this helps you out.

Edited by Yardbird

Thanks for the data. The load is intended for 25-50 yard varmit hunting.

I backed off the charge and loaded 5 of each at 6.8, 7.1 and 7.4. I'm going to the range this morning to check them and will evaluate the cases prior to shooting the 7.5.... if not safe I have a LOT of bullet pulling ahead of me.. lol

thanks again.

Do you happen to know of any published data specifically for Rainer and Berrys. I have always used the speer manual substituting data in the mid range based on bullet similarity to speer. It would be nice to see some data for the bulk stuff that I have.

Edited by RustySocket

From Rainier's web site...

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

My Lasercast bullet manual says...

______________Start grains_____________________________MAX grains

180gr_____6.1g Unique_____1015fps__________________6.7gr Unique_____1075fps

Edited by Yardbird

I think you want to be around 6.0 grains probably a hair more with a 170-180. 7.5 grains is well over max in my manuals.

I agree, with a plated 180gr bullet and 6.0gr unique run perfectly thru my Ultra Ten.

Cronoed between 998 and 1020 fps, and the recoil isn't that bad either.

I ran 100 through my G20 last weekend. No signs of overpressure, but is on the hot side. Not worth pulling the bullets however. My brother in law likes to shoot hot so we will run through them on squirrels this spring. Normally I'd have done a little range testing prior to ripping out 500rds but the excitement of a new 550 got the best of me.... lesson learned. I have a chrony coming so will post data when available.

I picked up two more manuals. Lyman 49 and Lee's Modern Reloading. As indicated on this thread my load is over the max recomended in those two manuals.

• 2 weeks later...