Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon swager and primers falling out of .223 Rem

I have recently started reloading .223 on my 550 and have had a couple primers fall out. Is it possible this is due to me having adjusted the Dillon swager too "tight"?

I now pay more attention to how much pressure it takes to seat the primer. If it seems too easy, I take that case and try to blow out the primer (catching it with a rag) with 100 psi of compressed air. I was getting 2 or 3 per hundred that would come out before I eased off on the swager adjustment. I'm still getting one every couple of hundred, but they seem to be seating better.

BTW, I'm using range brass that I've shot as well as what I've picked up. All mixed headstamps and no telling if/how many times some may have been reloaded. I've been running all of the brass through the swager.

I would bet money that it's the range brass you're picking up.

Don't assume someone was just too lazy to pick it up. There's a reason someone left it at the range!!!

I often keep my oldest brass for those snowy days, rain days, or local matches that I don't want or need to pickup my brass. It's a perfect time to "let it fly".

Someone else's reloads may be a combination of high pressure and of extremely large chamber (as is often with many M4's set up to work in the dirtiest conditions). Now you're picking it up and expecting it to work.

It can't hurt to go to your local pd and ask if they'd hold onto their old brass for you. Many departments are just throwing it out.

BTW, I'm using range brass that I've shot as well as what I've picked up. All mixed headstamps and no telling if/how many times some may have been reloaded. I've been running all of the brass through the swager.

btw, you only need to swage military brass once to remove the crimped primer pocket. and I sort mine by headstamp before I swage them, as I've found different brass, needs different adjustment on the swager.

btw, you only need to swage military brass once to remove the crimped primer pocket. and I sort mine by headstamp before I swage them, as I've found different brass, needs different adjustment on the swager.

+1

Exactly, one size does NOT fit all when it comes to sizing different headstamps, sort em', do a batch, then make the adjustments for the next headstamp..

The GOOD thing is that you only have to do them all ONCE! :cheers:

You are experiencing exactly what I would expect of range pick up mixed brass. My advice is to sort your stuff by head stamp as each flavor needs it own adjustment. Secondly I hope that you are well inside the pressure parameters as there is no telling to what pressures that "pick up" brass has been subjected.

Years ago a fellow long range shooter related to me that the AMU team left their ONCE fired 300 Win Mag brass on the line at a 1000 yard match. When he went to pick it up the coach said to him "You don't want that brass." He picked up a case and showed the would be scrounger a case head with a missing primer. "It is junk now."

My 600 yard brass was for a long time useless beyond a second reload. Many are still dancing on that edge. I just would not push it when loading pick up brass.

Personally, if it is far enough away that I want to use a rifle, it needs brass of which I am certain.

Edited by Michael Carlin

First off, I never reload 223 range brass. Only stuff that can be verified as once fired. I prefer LC but any of the mil brass is OK.

Second, I never reload FC head stamp 223. It is famous for not holding a primer, even once fired.

I pick up all the rifle brass i find that others leave & put it in the scrap bucket. A 5 gal bucket usually gets me about $ 100 at the recyclers.

• 2 weeks later...
First off, I never reload 223 range brass. Only stuff that can be verified as once fired. I prefer LC but any of the mil brass is OK.

Second, I never reload FC head stamp 223. It is famous for not holding a primer, even once fired.

I pick up all the rifle brass i find that others leave & put it in the scrap bucket. A 5 gal bucket usually gets me about $ 100 at the recyclers.

+1

I usually pick up extra brass at the range. Not for reloads but to use as either trade in or sell for scrap.

The only picks up I actually load is .45acp. Too much pressure in .223 for me to trust anyone else's gun/brass/reloading practices. If someone next to me is shooting a caliber I can use, I verify that it is in fact new brass and I ask if I can keep it. Usually the answer is yes.