Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight issues

steel1212

I would like to have some this size also. I prefer green F/O so it looks different than the red dot on my open gun. But that is just me.

Personally I don't think it would have to come with FO. Just send us the sights and we can put what every FO color we want in them.

Toolguy, I read somewhere that if the channel the fiber goes in is polished instead of blued you get more light to the fiber. That might be worth a try if it's not too much trouble for you.

Richard

PS: Has anyone else ever heard this?

I've actually tried different things to try to determine what factors affect the light transmission. Making the hole silver didn't have

any noticeable effect. If measured with a light meter, it might show a slight improvement, but if you can't tell any diff by looking

at it, to me it's no enough to worry about. What did make a difference was how tall the sides were and if one end was closed off.

If the sides of the metal are a little less than halfway up the fiber it was almost as bright as if the fiber was totally out in the open.

Also, if both ends are exposed, it was noticeably brighter than with one end closed off. Since the light source is nearly always at

some angle above the shooter, having the bottom of the fiber open seems to be of little benefit other than to make it easier to

break. I also experimented with different colors. If you hold the colors together and look at the ends side by side, it is obvious

which ones are the brightest. The brightest to dimmest are: Green, Orange, Yellow, Red, Purple, Blue. The Green and Orange

are very bright, the Yellow and Red doesn't really have much radiance, Purple looks like polluted white and Blue is fairly dark.

I use Green for the rear sight and Orange for the front. I have shot these sights in matches when it was dark and raining.

Everyone with black sights gave up and quit. I could still see mine like headlights. Same for dusk and dawn. Still, they aren't

that good indoors. All the previous is with one brand of fiber optic rod and one particular set of eyeballs. This is intended to

be general guidelines, not the final word. I would say this - those who like red over green might do well to try the orange.

Thanks to all for your input, I'm checking to see what sort of investment in time and effort it will take to do this project.

Others have deemed it not worth their while, so we will see.

Sounds like you have done some research, which is good. As far as colors go...I don't know if green is brighter, but for my 62 year old eyes the dot stays sharp where-as the red/orange fuzzys out and hurts accuracy for me.

Thanks,

Richard