Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Heavy Metal questions

David Sinko

I just bought an M1A SOCOM and plan to shoot Heavy Metal. I checked the rules and I still have a few questions.

Comps are permitted, but not porting. The factory "muzzle brake" has a bunch of holes which could be considered "porting." When we are talking about porting, do we mean porting of the barrel in addition to the comp? I am hoping this gun is compliant as it came from the factory.

Can I use a Glock 21 in Heavy Metal? This is not just a Single Stack or 1911 game, is it?

Thanks.

Dave Sinko

The SOCOM Muzzle break is OK. You just can't have porting in the bbl. The comp is fine.

The Glock 21 is a trickier question. Different 3-Gun matches have different rules about the pistol Some specify single stack, some metal frame and some just about anything. You need to check the individual rules for the match you are going to. Did you have one in mind? About the only gun that is legal for all is a 1911 .45 that is compliant with USPSA Single Stack rules.

I don't get around very much so for now I'm just looking at the local matches in PA. I don't own anything 1911 and don't plan on getting one.

If the Glock 21 doesn't cut it, how about a 625 revolver? At least that has a steel frame. Does anybody shoot Heavy Metal with a revolver?

Dave Sinko

No one uses a 625 I'm aware of. For your local matches in PA, do you know if they are USPSA or IMGA matches? Some local matches use their own version of the rules. It would be best to contact them to find out what rule set they are using. For local matches participation will probably be very low in Heavy Metal and may not be recognized.

Can I use a Glock 21 in Heavy Metal? This is not just a Single Stack or 1911 game, is it?

Since this is in the USPSA section... no you can't use your G21. And (currently) it is only a 1911 SS .45 division.

After you step away in disgust... email your Area director telling them the rules blow. :rolleyes:

No one uses a 625 I'm aware of. For your local matches in PA, do you know if they are USPSA or IMGA matches? Some local matches use their own version of the rules. It would be best to contact them to find out what rule set they are using. For local matches participation will probably be very low in Heavy Metal and may not be recognized.

Cliff Walsh from the Tampa FL area shoots IMGA style matches in Heavy Metal with his 625 Revolver (at least he does at the Ft. Benning match). He is cliffwalsh on this forum & is a USPSA GM in revolver. He doesn't shoot USPSA Multigun because it requires a single stack 1911 style pistol.

Linda Chico (L-2035)

Columbia SC

What is an IMGA match? I am primarily a revolver shooter and I have asked this question previously in the Revolver section. Cliff Walsh said he uses the 625 in multigun type matches, but I didn't know there were different kinds of matches. Since I know own a .308 rifle I'm taking this all a bit more seriously and would like to do this if possible, but not with a 1911.

Dave Sinko

What is an IMGA match? I am primarily a revolver shooter and I have asked this question previously in the Revolver section. Cliff Walsh said he uses the 625 in multigun type matches, but I didn't know there were different kinds of matches. Since I know own a .308 rifle I'm taking this all a bit more seriously and would like to do this if possible, but not with a 1911.

Dave Sinko

Dave - Glad to hear your interested in shooting Heavy metal, it is the most challenging division of multi-gun.(the way it should be)

IMGA = (international multi gun association) as formal as it sounds I have never heard of a fomal group of members or rule standards used.

any match that is not run under USPSA rules falls to IMGA rules. such as DPMS trigun challenge,RM3G,MGM iron man,SMM3G.

most of these matches run similar rules but they all have different tweaks to them such as scoring and equipment.

Make sure you read the match rules and ask if you are not sure.

Use your Glock, 10rds are better than 6.

What model 12 ga. pump shotgun are you going to use?

Craig

I own an M1A SOCOM 16, Glock 21 and three 625s but no shotgun. For the last match I borrowed a Mossberg 590. I also have access to a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870, though the 870 is currently set up with a fully rifled slug barrel for the deer season. The M1A is new and I am (desperately) trying to find good magazines for it. I can shoot aperture sights rather well but our last match had clay birds at 100 yards, and the thought of facing that with iron sights makes me nervous. Still, I do plan on shooting Heavy Metal at the next match, as long as my equipment will be compliant.

Dave Sinko