Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

F'ing morons shooting in the air

HSMITH

I watched Myth Busters where they tested this. They found bullets fired straight up perpendicular to the earth fell to the ground without lethal force. Now bullets fired at an angle were not tested and i believe the people getting killed are from bullets fired at an angle.

Not that I condone shooting in the air although I could shoot bird shot in the air behind my house and only a few cows may get some shot falling on them. We shoot a monthly match where the shotgunners up on the hill shoot over us and we get shot raining down on us sometimes.

Sounds like my first time at opening day of dove season. We couldn't afford a trip to a fancy farm or anything like that but did pay for a nice, wide spot in a soybean field that happen to have some other shooters across the clearing. You sort of learned real quick to judge the time from their reports to the time to duck your head and let you hat/cap brim catch the shot. It didn't strike me as anything more dangerous than a handful of gravel tossed my way, with warning.

I didn't hear any gunfire on NYE but a funny thing happened while I was waterfowl hunting the other day. There was a somewhat stiff wind of about 20 mph from the N. A flight of geese came by and we opened up on them hoping to get one by breaking a wing. I fired up at probably an 85 degree angle into the wind.. a few seconds later, after we'd missed our geese, we hear the familiar plop plop plop in the water around us.. I'd always had pellets fall around me from several hundred yard away fired by other people.. I'd never rained down on myself though.. it was a little interesting, but nothing to worry about overall.