Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dies

Either set works.

Dillon sizing dies are known (notorious?) for the flare designed into the opening, making it easy for the case to feed into the die without binding or jamming. The down side is that the part of the case under the flare (just above the extractor rim) doesn't get resized, which for some cases in some barrels in some calibers may cause chambering issues.

Lee dies are like most sets that size further down the case. Their special Factory Crimp Die gets further down than most. EGW has something very similar. Those special dies are helpful for brass shot through guns where the chamber allows more brass expansion ("guppy bellied brass") - Glocks, for instance.

ETA:

For most brass under most circumstances either brand works. I personally use Dillon.

Edited by kevin c

On my 650's (38SC & 40S&W) I use a lee U die, Redding Competitopn seating die and a Lee Resizer/crimp die. I just recently came into a set of Dillon 38 Super dies (free) so I've put the Dillon sizer/decapper in the first station, the Lee U die, minus the decapping pin, in the second station. Third station is for powder/flaring, fourth station is the Redding Competition seater and the Lee resizer/ crimp die is in the fifth.

The Dillon resizer helps ease the transition of the brass resizing into the Lee U Die. Not really necessary, just wanted to try it.

Even though I have carbide dies I still polish all brass well and use Hornaday One Shot case lube.

This combination works very well for me.

CYa,

Pat