Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super revolver

JAB

I have and shoot a S&W 686 in both 38/357 and 38 Super. The only minor advantage of the 38 Super is that the moonclips are thicker than for the 38/357 and therefore the loaded moonclips for the 38 Super are less floppy. This may result in faster reloads but I elieve the fastest reloads can only be achieved with a S&W 625 in 45 ACP. Gravity sure helps those big fat 45 ACP rounds find those big holes in the cylinder.

Edited by TonyT

Like mentioned above, "if" you make your revolver a full moon clip revo and you shoot .38 Super factory ammo in minor, you can alter your 39/357. However, once you start with a major load in 38 Super you must shoot it from a 357 due to the pressures. Most people (including revo shooters) do not know that factory 38 Super chambers and fires from 38/357 just fine as these are 130 gr at 1000 fps. Why not just buy a 627 that is built for 38 Super?

I have shot revos since 1972 and never had the desire to buy a revo in 38 Super....however, my Open guns are all 38 Super and it would have been easy to load for. I shoot lots of 38 Colt Short (in minor) through 627s, 686s, even Model 66 in competition as the speed of reloading s shorter round has always offset the smashing force, noise, and recoil of a 357.

Good luck on your project, I think you will find that you are only going to ruin a good gun though..... Merry Christmas to all and a Happy & Healthy New Year!

Bill Sahlberg

L1283

Ok i seen some post about revolver in 38 super sounds like a good project for the winter what revolvers would you be able to make into a 38super ?

One of the challenges is being able to get the 38 super moonclips. There is a supply of S&W 6 and 8 shot moonclips available. Other than that, any 38 or 357 revo can be simply rechambered for a38 super usiing a reamer as they are already capable of sending a ..355 to a .357 projectile through the barrel. Good luck on your winter project. later rdd