Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Clamp-on Front Sight

chp5

I'd like to increase my sight radius on my 16" upper by moving my front sight out toward the muzzle.

I've seen a clamp-on front sight for an AR but I don't know who makes it and I can't find it in Brownells. It's one that does NOT use the gas block to attach - it clamps directly on the barrel. The front sights that use the gas block are no good to me because it doesn't increase my sight radius.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Just trying to help... This may not be what you want.

JP has a mounting block for $40 under "Sights" and then "Detachable". It's not pictured but there is a bit of info on it. www.jprifles.com.

At Brownells, the only ones I know of are the HighPower models that use globe front sights. Have to have a postban gun or be able to get the comp off to get one on. The Schuster has adjustable elevation with repeatable marks: Schuster, Part # 100-000-499 through 100-000-502.

The Lipski appears to be the same as the model sold by Accuracy Speaks and others. It is adjustable for elevation but only on a sliding scale without marks or clicks: Lipski, Part #527-101-812.

Bushmaster makes a front sight that clamps on the barrel, but I don't think it will work out where you want it. Not sure though. It's on Bushy's website here: Bushmaster Modular Flip Up Sight.

Here's a picture of Erik Warren's AR with the Accuracy Speaks(Lipski?) front sight base and globe sight: Erik's rifle.

I believe you can get Accuracy Speaks accessories from our host Brian since his page still says,

"ACCURACY SPEAKS

Until I get some pages built, call me on my toll free number if you want to order any products from the great Derrick Martin of Accuracy Speaks."

Hope that helps some. Good luck and let us know what you go with. (Can you tell I have looked into this some for my own rifle?)

Bryant

DBChaffin pretty much said it all....

If you want a duplicate of the stock front sight, there aren't many options. I can see only one thing preventing you from putting on a gas block and moving the front sight housing out to the muzzle, and that's barrel diameter. (But Bushmaster did just that with their Dissipator, didn't they?)

BTW, I think the Accuracy Speaks base is different from the Lipski. Jake set me up with a bushing to pad the difference between my barrel diameter and the base diameter. For a repeatable zero, I've measured the sight height. To go back from a scope to Limited, I just set it at that height.

Realize that a longer sight radius has a price. It reduces the range of adjustment of the rear sight, and reduces its increments of adjustment. So your half-minute-of-angle clicks become .345-MOA clicks (or something to that effect). This means the stock range settings on your 16" rear sight will be wrong. It means the range settings on my 20" rear sight are wrong (because I put the sight on the muzzle of a 20".).

• 1 month later...

Thanks Bryant and Erik!

Erik - a few questions:

1. Where did you get that RPA globe sight?

2. If I use an adjustable A2 rear sight on my flatop 16 upper that's for a 20 upper (i.e., it has the 8/3 markings instead of the 6/3 markings on the wheel), then I should avoid the rear sight range of adjustment issues - correct? (I may be way off here).

3. How do you like the globe sight for pistol-length stages where speed is paramount?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I got the RPA front sight from OK Weber. I was surprised to find it helps more at the short-range hosers. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with having it on the muzzle, but it really is amazing.

This may be nit-picking, but there's no such thing as an A2 rear sight for a flattop. An A2 sight, by definition, is integral to the A2 upper receiver. There's the A3 carry handle rear sight for flattops, but it's different among different manufacturers. Then there are the variations of the A2 and A3 rear sights: 1 MOA, 1/2 MOA, 1/4 MOA, 6/3 wheel, 8/3 wheel, etc. It's bewildering and I don't pretend to understand it all. You might look to AR15.com for a sight FAQ or some knowledgeable people. Trouble is, all the knowledge is in Highpower Service Rifle, which is exclusively A2 receiver sights. The Match Rifle guys don't bother with removable carry handle A3 sights or anything like that we're interested in; they go for the high-zoot rear sights you see on the OK Weber sight.

To try to help with your question... I think you're on the right track, in that the 8/3 wheeled sight has a larger range of adjustment than the 6/3 sight. I suggest measuring it: the difference from bottomed-out to topped-out.

FWIW, I read somewhere, and I am having trouble finding it now, that you can't just use an 8/3 setup on a 6/3 A3 carry handle sight. Well, you can on the sight but it won't fit on the gun. The 8/3 "post" is longer providing the additional elevation. Therefore, when you crank it all the way down, it hits the top of the receiver. The solution is to take an end mill and mill a recess down into the receiver. I have found plans for this on the internet somewhere but I don't think it would be too hard to do.

I aim (pun intended) to make this modification on my AR someday, hopefully before too long. I hope that makes sense and doesn't confuse the issue any.