Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 gas blocks

B.Reid

I'm gonna be using a JP handguard and will be adding a gas block as well to my new project. Has anyone used the gas blocks on these rifles and did it make a significant difference in the felt recoil and sight tracking? I understand that once you add a comp vs. the original birdcage flashhider it makes a really big improvement. Any thoughts?

I discussed this issue extensively with John (JP Enterprises) a few years ago when I started playing around with AR-10's. He seems to know his way around a gas gun ;) and told me the main issue you're fighting with the 308 gas rifle is bolt slam. The bolts on the 308's are really heavy compared to the 223 (I just hefted two of mine, the difference is huge) and most of the rifles are "overgassed" causing a lot of rifle movement and delayed shot to shot sight recovery.

A comp will help. There are many out there, everyone's got their favorite and most of them are very good.

Based on what John told me along with my subsequent personal experience with shooting AR-10's, I'd definitely look into an adjustable gas block. Decreasing the gas flow really made a significant difference in my rifle as far as felt recoil using the same muzzle break (a cooley comp).

I believe I read in another post that Benny Hill will lighten your bolt carrier which may be worth considering as well.

Good luck with it!

David