Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cross-training: Shooting IDPA with a revolver over the winter...

Bill Schwab

I grabbed my cajones a few months ago and decided I was going to shoot local IDPA matches through the winter with a revolver so I could:

1) actually shoot matches through the winter because all the local ipsic matches take the winter off

2) learn how to shoot a DA revolver

3) preserve the life of my 1911's

I'm pretty impressed with how easily I took to DA shooting, but those reloads still need a lot of work. Whatever the case I am having a lot of fun, in fact I'm going to do this every winter from now on. Why didn't I think of this years ago!

BTW, I'm shooting an EGW slicked up S&W 66 (pinned and recessed) with 38 Specials & Comp III's. To facilitate reloads I'm using jacketed 38 Super roundnose bullets and getting acceptable accuracy.

I'm trying the exact same thing.

I'll be using my S&W 610 revolver in my first IDPA match this Sunday.

I put an SDM green fiber optic front sight on it and it's ready to go.

Never shot a revo in competition before so here's hoping!

Let us know how it goes. I was surprised how easy the transition from 1911 to revolver was.

Report on using the 610 at a match:

AWESOME! What fun!

The transition to revo was easier than I thought!

I was really worried about the reloads but they weren't a deal breaker.

I just concentrated on being firm & steady on the trigger and hit the holes on the reload.

Only stage I didn't like was when you had to hold an Xmas present in your weak hand and fire 8 shots. I had to put the present between my legs to reload and finish the string of fire... that was interesting. Not exactly revolver friendly there but I got through it.

Only thing I'd seriously consider next time is using 40 S&W ammo instead on the 10mm. One time the 10mm loaded moonclip got hung up on the star extractor during one reload. Had to shake it off.

Maybe using the shorter 40 S&W cases might help with faster reloads?

All in all it was great and can't wait to try it again!

Only thing I'd seriously consider next time is using 40 S&W ammo instead on the 10mm. One time the 10mm loaded moonclip got hung up on the star extractor during one reload. Had to shake it off.

Maybe using the shorter 40 S&W cases might help with faster reloads?

40 brass is WAY cheaper than 10mm too...