Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Points vs Round Noses or Shoulders

Dowter

Does anyone know if flat points are less reliable than round noses or shoulders?  I had a  flat point get stuck on my feed ramp yesterday and I 'm trying to track down the cause.  Possible causes - flat point, OAL too short, and magazine got gunk in it.

I've had a few similar jams with 200 gr H&G#68 LSWC. Mags were new and clean and OAL was 1.25, as recommended by esteemed members of this forum. In another thread it was reported that Bill Wilson considered the 200 gr H&G#68 LSWC to be more reliable than RN or hardball. I don't have an answer for cause of the jams but will follow closely the replies from the more experienced auto shooters.

If we're talking the 1911 platform, oal has more to do with reliable feeding than shape.  (Wihtin reason.)  I used to load a bullet designed for the .45 Colt, a 255 gr wide flat point.  Cast from wheelweights it ran almost 265, and I loaded it what would have been thought short for the .45 ACP.

The wide flat hit the ramp early but at the right time to pop the round up and feed reliably.

Perhaps the round set back?  Or hit a toolmark right where it needed to cam up?  Or there is some other subtle problem?

I use 202 grs. Flat Point-Beveled Base bullets, loaded to an O.A.L. of 1.200" in my SVI Competition (same magazines from the very beginning, no spring replacement up to now).

After about 22'000 rounds shot, I had only 4 jams, due to old brass (i.e. coke-bottle shaped brass) that I didn't bother to run through the Factory Crimp Die for training sessions.

I don't think this particular profile might be the cause.

I'd rather check magazines, mag springs, or even recoil spring: all these factors may alter the correct cycling of the slide (have a look at the Shock-Buff debate thread if you are using one; BTW I have always used them and can report no problems).

DVC