Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lining support hand fingers up with strong hand fingers?

ER_STL

When you bring your support hand onto the gun, do you let "fingers find fingers"? When I bring my support hand onto the gun, I find that I have the best grip on it if I line the fingers up such that they lay into the grooves of the strong hand fingers. This - along with grip-tape on the support hand side - seems to give me enough traction to keep my support hand from sliding forward and squirting the strong hand (and the gun) out of the grip. If I don't line the fingers up but rather just let them wrap over the strong hand fingers where they may the grip feels much less secure.

Anyone else experience this?

EDIT: This is hands high, thumbs forward btw...

Edited by ER_STL

<_< My support hand has more of down turn than my Strong hand. my revolver grip is just a bit different but still turned down.

IF i was to take my support hand index finger off the gun and point it strait out it would point at the ground about 8 feet in front of me. For this to happen my fingers on my support hand lap over the Strong hand fingers at an angel.

added-( correction)= its just the last bit of my finger that overlaps the knuckle of the strong hand = <_< But thin again ..I could be wrong.

Edited by AlamoShooter

<_< My support hand has more of down turn than my Strong hand. my revolver grip is just a bit different but still turned down.

IF i was to take my support hand index finger off the gun and point it strait out it would point at the ground about 8 feet in front of me. For this to happen my fingers on my support hand lap over the Strong hand fingers at an angel.

<_< But thin again ..I could be wrong.

When I first starting learning the thumbs forward grip I was doing this same thing. My support wrist was canted while my strong hand wrist wasn't so much. As a result, my support hand fingers were overlapping the strong fingers at an angle and I had trouble keeping a good grip.

Now, since my fingers are lined up more closely, I use the bend in my elbows to effectively lock my support hand wrist. I was just curious if anyone else was doing this. It seems like it is making my grip a lot stronger.

<_< But thin again ..I could be wrong.

When I first starting learning the thumbs forward grip I was doing this same thing. My support wrist was canted while my strong hand wrist wasn't so much. As a result, my support hand fingers were overlapping the strong fingers at an angle and I had trouble keeping a good grip.

Now, since my fingers are lined up more closely, I use the bend in my elbows to effectively lock my support hand wrist. I was just curious if anyone else was doing this. It seems like it is making my grip a lot stronger.

Yes when I look at it closer it appears as though my fingers line up like you are saying - its just the last digit under my finger nail that overlaps

I think that there is enough variation in anatomy that the "fit", the "feel" and "what works" could be a bit different for every shooter, and even those things might change over time for any individual.

In my case, the best fit and feel is WH fingers between the SH fingers, but what works best for a firm grip and sight recovery is fingers over fingers. Problem is that I can't acquire that 2nd grip consistently or quickly. Another problem is, either way, my SH middle finger is getting pushed around in a way it doesn't like, and at the end of a long practice or dry fire session it gets swollen.

YMMV...

I should have been clearer.

When I press the weak hand fingers onto the bones of the strong hand fingers (finger on finger) I can feel increased pressure on the grip panels under the strong hand. I find the FS snaps back better this way, and I'm assuming it's from a firmer grip. Squeezing with the WH fingers between the SH fingers feels "mushy" to me, and seems to allow more mvt of the gun.

But, as you point out, it isn't a particularly stable grip. I can hold it for a couple shots, but then find my WH fingers shifting, and I then have to regrip, which is a real time waster. So it really isn't a good grip for me for multiple shots. Not being a gorilla grip type of guy, I figured it was me - somebody stronger, or with different shaped hands/fingers might make it work.

Bottom line, the more reproducible and stable finger between finger grip is what I actually use.

Another problem is, either way, my SH middle finger is getting pushed around in a way it doesn't like, and at the end of a long practice or dry fire session it gets swollen.

In early years of shooting I experienced the same sort of thing, especially with a Glock which really hit my master hand middle finger knuckle hard. That doesn't happen any more. I noticed recently that the middle knuckle on my right middle finger is much larger than the one on the left middle finger, and the middle phalange (aka finger bone) is nowhere close to being the same shape as its left hand counterpart, after a quarter century or so of wrapping them under and around a trigger guard. So good news! All you have to do is shoot enough that the shape of your bones changes, and you'll no longer have a problem. :lol: