Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA welcomed me back yesterday

Paul Burtchell

I haven't shot an IDPA match in a few months until yesterday. Welcome Back !

4 procedurals: 2 for dropping a mag with rounds left, 1 for forgetting to shut a car door, and 1 for not engaging targets near to far (tactical priority).

A little frustrating, but I had to laugh at myself for the mental fubars.

My favorite is the unintentional reload with retention. I do it almost once a week (weekly IDPA lite match). I go to button out a mag after finishing an array only to remember to catch it and throw it into my back pocket.

Silly game.

I usually forget and do my reload on the run instead of hiding behind cover. I also dropped my retention mag into a shirt pocket only to find that was against the rules. Could have dropped it down the front of my shirt, but not into a pocket. Go figure?

Yankee Dog

I decided to always shoot to slide lock and not worry about it unless specifically called for. I do a production elprez in around 7 seconds and it took me 14 with a retention. which I could practice if If i was going to be serious about IDPA. I love the fun stages that our club puts on but some i don't take the tactical techniques as seriously as most of the carry guys do.

Why would you have to close a car door to avoid penalty? what would be the tactical benefit to that? I would leave it open in case you need to retreat back to it. Then if someone needs to close a open passenger door while driving that's pretty easy to o with the brakes or the gas peddle. If there isn't a realistic reason then maybe they are a little to free on procedural's.

I decided to always shoot to slide lock and not worry about it unless specifically called for. I do a production elprez in around 7 seconds and it took me 14 with a retention. which I could practice if If i was going to be serious about IDPA. I love the fun stages that our club puts on but some i don't take the tactical techniques as seriously as most of the carry guys do.

Why would you have to close a car door to avoid penalty? what would be the tactical benefit to that? I would leave it open in case you need to retreat back to it. Then if someone needs to close a open passenger door while driving that's pretty easy to o with the brakes or the gas peddle. If there isn't a realistic reason then maybe they are a little to free on procedural's.

The stage description stated to close the door. Buzzer went off and I went into my "Hoser" mode. :roflol:

Edited by baerburtchell

Just a note: My intention is not to bash IDPA rules, on the contrary, I love both games. I think it is great mental discipline to switch between the two (USPSA & IDPA) as obviously pointed out by my errors yesterday.

Edited by baerburtchell

Don't sweat it. I get dinged pretty regularly for reloading in the open or dropping a mag with ammo in it. It's just trigger time and it's fun anyway. I'm getting to the point now that if the gun goes to slide lock, my first thought is that it's a malfunction.

It's a sport and you play by the rules, as goofy as they seem.

I had a conversation recently with some former "operators" (real, bona fide..not gunshop type) about some of the things we make shooters do. Their opinion is the same as most of ours. Follow the rules and don't do these things in a real fight, it doesn't matter.

Remember, you fight like you train. For me it's remembering that is the problem. So have fun and get what you can from it and take the procedural if it's the "right" thing to do.

One of the reasons that I shoot revolver in IDPA are the reload rules. I fire the revolver until empty, reload, and repeat as necessary. Shooting revolver I think has caused me to wonder why auto shooters have a problem with shooting to slide lock. It seems that many do not like the idea of not being able to drop magazines that have ammo left in them, but I cannot see why you would want to do that anyway. People only carry so many magazines for their autos, so dropping them only when they are expended makes sense to me. There will be times when you should retain your magazines, and times when you should not. Most auto shooters that I have seen are quite adept at reloading and going to slide lock then reloading would not present a problem.

In the firearm training that I received it was taught that if you get a chance you reload with retention to get back to having a fully loaded handgun. Retaining the magazine that was in the handgun is in case you have to go back to it because you have no other ammo. The practice of shooting to slide lock was the norm, but it was left to the shooter how they wish to handle their reloads. Both methods or reloading were drilled, so that shooters could become acquainted with them.

I am of the opinion that when you are participating in a sport you participate by the rules. Not every rule in a sport will please everyone, but those that participate are willing to abide by those rules. I personally compete in olympic style fencing, CAS, IDPA, USPSA, and several other sports. I have had numerous times in all of them where I did not like a particular rule, but I remain in the sport because overall I enjoy them all. I even went to the effort to become an official in three of the sports, so that I could understand the rules better.

Edited by Blueridge

People only carry so many magazines for their autos, so dropping them only when they are expended makes sense to me.

Ah, yes, but in IDPA, it's also a penalty to drop an EMPTY mag from the gun when there's still a round from that mag in the chamber. The only way to avoid the penalty is to rack the slide after inserting the fresh mag, thereby ejecting the last unfired round from the previous magazine.

If the shooter does not rack the slide and instead, fires that round. + 3 seconds.

Once again, I am not complaining about IDPA rules in any shape form or fashion.

It just fascinated me how quickly my mind set & skills for one game deteriorated.

When I shoot USPSA I play by those rules. When I shoot IDPA I play by those rules. I try not to complain about either. Both fun and different disciplines.

Edited by baerburtchell

12 seconds worth of penalties probably didn't have any effect on your overall placement as I'm sure you were at least 30 seconds ahead of the field anyway. :cheers:

Don't I wish.

Steve Jolly would have still kicked my _ _ s, even if I would have shot a clean match :roflol:

Edited by baerburtchell