Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 870

minnesota1

I have a 21" 870 Turkey model. I am going to transform it into a 3 gun type tactical shotgun. I will need a mag extension and I'm not sure what else or which brand would be the best-Choate, tac star, etc. Could anyone let me know what would be a good extender, how many I can add to it without going past the end of the barrel, as per shotgun rules, would you want anything else like the larger safety, side saddle or anything else? It has a vent rib on the shotgun and I will need to pick up another choke, would an improved cylinder work or what would you recommend?

If you have any pics I'd love to see them.

Thanks,

Bob

I put a Choate pistol grip stock and +4 extention on mine, but looking back I should have gotten the +3 b/c 9+1 is open class.

I like it, good luck on yours

So what can you have in the standard class? Is it 8 + 1? The shotgun I ordered says the mag capacity is 4, did yours have a 5 shell capacity? I am unsure if that means it has a 3 + 1 or if that means a 4 + 1. Does anyone know? Also, what is the rule for a tube extending past the barrel? It is a 21" barrel and if I have to get a +4 extension would that go past the end of the barrel?

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by minnesota1

It may very well be a +5 tube and I may be off. I honestly can't remmember, but my 870 will hold 9+1 now. I later learned that a 9+1 capacity is open class.

If your gonna run iron sights or a beed, then get whatever will give you 8+1, that will be tactical division.

Again, I'm no rules guru, but I think you can have a tube extend past your muzzle as long as the capacity rules apply.

Someone please chime in that knows forsure.

I've had 2 Remington shotguns with Choate extensions. They worked fine except the new follower was oversize and would stick in the mag tube especially when hot. Scattergun Technology makes a good mag tube follower; I'm sure others do also.

For 3-gun rules, it's OK and common for the mag tube to stick out past the end of the barrel.

For serious home use, I'd only have the mag tube extend beyond the barrel if it was sturdy and clamped very well to the barrel.